Beautiful Annie just died, BJ devastated

loss is loss, whether you're human, chicken, cat, dog, horse, etc., etc., etc. Grief is grief, and it hurts. I'm sorry for your and B.J.'s loss. Annie was a beautiful girl, and I know you both will miss her. I hope as your heart heals you are able to look back and enjoy your memories of her.

What a beautiful girl...so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Thank you Brenda, arlee/Susan, dogsrule5, dc/Laurie, Jacie, crtrlovr/Szanne, and tc31llb/Lori

It means a lot to get your notes. I wish I had been home today to know she was struggling - I would have had her in a bath to try to relax her muscles (and/or Tums..). Never saw any signs of eggbound - and tho her egg was only a few hours "late" - not even one day late - clearly that's what it must have been - maybe it was extra large? You know it has to hurt like he77 to bring on a heart attack - so sad what we humans have done in creating chickens with these horrible timebombs of early death sentences.

As I know you all know, all it takes is getting to know one to know they love life as much as we do. I really thought Annie would live a really long life because she was always on a 48 hour instead of a 24 hour egg laying cycle so I thought her body would be less stressed and not wear out as soon as her unlucky 'sisters' everywhere.

Laurie, I'm not sure of the breed of the poor scared hen in the cage. She looks to be quite black - I was hoping for another barred rock - thought it might be a more comforting familiar sight for BJ - but I felt I had to yield to taking the hen this person felt most comfortable parting with. I'll post pics soon - hopefully we can then figure out what she is. They were 5 or so others just like her in the barn - all part of a 26 chick batch from MMH nearly 2 years ago. When I put food and water in her cage, she bit me. I hope she does not do this to BJ - probably not...poor thing is probably just terribly rattled. I feel bad for her but if she can adjust she will be treated like a princess by BJ and will get lots of love and TLC from me. Probably another long process of getting her to warm up. It took awhile with Annie but she finally became so loving and beyond joyous. You couldn't help but smile around her. But it did take awhile before she fell for BJ - she had never had a roo in her life before he came around. Once they bonded, they became inseparable. To hear those awful sounds tonight and terrible flapping - it had to be godawful for her.
I soooo did not see this coming - she had appeared the pciture of vibrant health.

Suzanne, it is so true. Pain is pain. Grief is grief. It doesn't matter the "packaging" (species). When BJ has had losses in the past he has lost his will to live, that's how deeply he cares for his companions. I hope I can pull him out of yet another dark place. He is so dear, gentle, caring and sensitive.

JJ

Last edited:
so sorry for the loss of your Annie...
looks and sounds like she was special girl..and a lucky one to have such a caring owner..

hope things go well with the new hen and BJ..

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Annie. I know that you and BJ both cared for her very much. It is amazing the bond that two chickens can have for each other. I have two Silver Sebrights that are the same way. I do hope that everything goes well with the new hen and BJ. Sending prayers and hugs your way...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom