Beautiful drake needs new home (Memphis to St.Louis)

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
My beautiful 4 year old 1/2 Khaki, 1/2 Appleyard drake needs a new home ASAP. I love him but he does not get along with one of my females who was his former rival’s mate. Because he is a mixed breed he creates a variety of beautiful offspring. I posted in my state page several days ago without any interest so I thought I would try here. I am in the Memphis area but willing to drive an hour or so. I am heading to St.Louis over the 4th and could bring him with or drop him off along the way. He is sweet to people and all my other female ducks.
8DAD748C-E338-49C3-B884-C35401D632F8.jpeg
CDF1EE45-C938-496A-9157-5227DEE10456.jpeg

I wonder if you could swap him for another drake, @cheezenkwackers?
I swapped a pekin drake with my son as his drake would not accept a muscovy female into the flock. We tried for nearly 4 months, but he would have none of it and her life was being made a misery. THen I rescued a pair of pekin drakes that had been abused before being dumped and although they were very closely bonded one would bully the other pulling out his feathers from around his eye and down his neck. I tried all sorts of regimes with the two in separate dog crates and rotating turns in a temporary run on my patio. Nothing would break the behaviors, so the dominent drake went to my son's where he has settled well [he is not top duck: the little muscovy keeps him in place.] Meanwhile the previously bullied pekin has settled with my drakes and grown back the missing feathers, although he is low down the pecking order.

My exchange was within my family, and staggered -- one moved before the other. But I have found it difficult to find new homes for drakes and so it might be worth the effort of suggesting an exchange rather than a give away.

I wonder if you could swap him for another drake, @cheezenkwackers?
I swapped a pekin drake with my son as his drake would not accept a muscovy female into the flock. We tried for nearly 4 months, but he would have none of it and her life was being made a misery. THen I rescued a pair of pekin drakes that had been abused before being dumped and although they were very closely bonded one would bully the other pulling out his feathers from around his eye and down his neck. I tried all sorts of regimes with the two in separate dog crates and rotating turns in a temporary run on my patio. Nothing would break the behaviors, so the dominent drake went to my son's where he has settled well [he is not top duck: the little muscovy keeps him in place.] Meanwhile the previously bullied pekin has settled with my drakes and grown back the missing feathers, although he is low down the pecking order.

My exchange was within my family, and staggered -- one moved before the other. But I have found it difficult to find new homes for drakes and so it might be worth the effort of suggesting an exchange rather than a give away.
Great idea but I kept two ducklings from a hatch I made in the spring. I knew one duckling was female but I had to guess on the second. I chose the smallest duckling of the ten hoping for a girl. I guessed wrong. So, I already have another drake. I had promised my husband if the duckling turned out to be a drake, I would find Salsa a new home. I had found one, but they backed out on me at the last minute. I don’t want to cull him but it isn’t fair leaving him locked up all the time either. He isn’t eating as well and is losing weight.

Update: Salsa just went home with a lovely lady who lives about an hour away and recently lost her drake. He will have three new girl friends, 2 Khaki, and 1 Pekin. I am hoping he behaves himself.

These are his two ducklings which I kept. Milkyway is a small female who is 1/2 Swedish. She is a lavender since she has blue and brown alleles.
CED1D4CF-6C0D-45D3-BAAE-9046E45934E1.jpeg

This is Snickers. I think his mother is my 1/2 Welsh and 1/2 Khaki duck. He is the new flock drake.
BF291EEE-3224-4B69-9265-F1A0F5C2180F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom