Beautiful peahen showed up at my farm this past weekend - what can you tell me about her?

Well, Arbor & Kedreeva - your posts make me feel so sad for this girl. She's hanging by my duck pen, which seems odd to me, given that I have 4 other pens containing chickens. But, the duck pen is the closest to the horse corral, that has the very high grass in it, which is where she flies to when she's feeling threatened.

She's definitely been around people; that was evident within just a few days.

We had a horrible storm about 2 a.m. this morning, and I was somewhat surprised to see her at the barn again when I got there at 5:30! She's chosen to roost on the fence above my layer (chickens) pen. The poor chickens go bonkers when she flies up there, being "hard-wired" to be afraid of anything from above that may be a predator.

This morning, I went into the pen and walked right underneath her - she just looked down at me. She seems "tame" but knowing nothing about them, I'm not about to try to grab her up to check her over. She seems healthy, though. She's eating and drinking well, seems to be sort of developing a routine.

I had one reply to my CL ad, but it was not for a peafowl. Sigh. I'm going to the local feed store today to put up a sign and ask the folks who work there if they know anyone who has peafowl.

If I am unable to find her owner, I'd like to get her to someone who can care for her properly and give her some company of her own kind...and appreciate her.

She's a beautiful hen. I would think anyone would be happy to have her. If she will let you walk under her she must be pretty tame. Good luck finding her owner or finding a good home for her. If you were close to me, I would take her. She would have plenty of company.
big_smile.png

Well, sadly, I report that "Whitney" (as my DH was calling her) is now gone. She was on my farm exactly one week; Saturday morning, she was there on top of the chicken run, where she'd been roosting each night. By Saturday afternoon, she was gone. No Whitney on Sunday, either. So, I dunno if she found her way home, or just decided she was bored at our place. Sigh. I'm kinda bummed, had been "training" her to come into the barn at night. I had her food/water within about 5' from the barn door opening, and she'd actually even wandered in a few times. Oh well...I was blessed to have had her as a visitor for a week!

Wow that is a mystery bird if I've ever heard of one. Hope she went back home.
Yep, me, too! It occurred to me that if she WAS nesting, MAYBE she was tending to her chicks as they hatched or something...but I rather doubt she'd have been roosting overnight if she had eggs to tend to, so I don't think that she was nesting. I just hope, whatever she's doing and wherever she is, that she remains safe!

It's also possible someone else penned her with the same idea as you- to get her back to her real home. Or maybe to keep her for themselves, depending. They're pretty good at taking care of themselves free-ranging, so I'd imagine she'll be ok even if she didn't make it back to her people :)

Yep, me, too! It occurred to me that if she WAS nesting, MAYBE she was tending to her chicks as they hatched or something...but I rather doubt she'd have been roosting overnight if she had eggs to tend to, so I don't think that she was nesting. I just hope, whatever she's doing and wherever she is, that she remains safe!
Mabe she is starting to sit a nest now
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom