Bebies arrived this morning! And already "flying" WOW!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by X2Farm, Jul 22, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So my order from Ideal arrived today. 21 healthy vocal chicks!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 Welsummers
    4 White crested blue polish
    2 Pearl Guinneas
    10 Assorted chicks, SR

I've figured out the Welsummers, Polish and Guinneas, I'm tryin to ID some of the Assorted chicks...

A couple of the chicks are HUGE [​IMG] bout twice the size as the others, and the guinneas are so tiny! [​IMG]

One of the Polish is solid yellow... the rest are blue and yellow... wonder if I got 3 boys and 1 girl [​IMG] A couple of em "flew" round the bottom of the brooder.. well, it looked like flying at least [​IMG] Very cute! and speeeeeeeeeedy!!!

I'll try and get some individual pictures of the questionable chicks shortly..... [​IMG]

Oh, and on the chick waterer thing... At the local TSC, they had what they called Quail Waters. Same concept as the gallon style, but the well around the bottom is smaller, making it near impossible for chicks to get in and drown, so I picked up 2 of them instead of using a couple jar lids, and they're working terrific!!

And a question... All TSC had were 125W white bulbs...and 250W red.. I got the 125, thinking the 250 would get too hot for the chicks, and I was thinkin the red would be better. Could I take a sharpie and color one of the 125's red? I don't think it'd hurt the chicks.. or the bulb for that matter, LOL! Or should I just go get a 250W red *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  2. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:I'm glad to hear this. I looked at both at TSC and wasn't sure what my best bet would be.

3. HurlyBurly

HurlyBurly New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I've been very surprised by how well my 2 weeks olds are flying - I'm going to have to put together a lid for the brooder this weekend, or I expect to come home & find them loose in the basement!

Carmen & 'Lupe are both getting close to a foot off the ground already and Rosy seems to planning a 2 stage escape via the water bottle!

They grow up so FAST!

4. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Ok, heres some pics of the assortment...

Chick #1... RIR?
    [​IMG]

WCB Polish.. the solid one.. pullet? The green is marker.. I asked them to mark breeds for me.. I hoped they'd list the 10 assorted breeds, but, they marked the others instead, oh well! LOL

[​IMG]

There's this pair...?
    [​IMG]

This one... theres another that looks like 'im, just more black and bigger
    [​IMG]

BigBoy (biggest of the batch) smiliar to the one above
    [​IMG]

No clue on this one?
    [​IMG]

There's 2 of these, Buff Orphingtons?
    [​IMG]

And here's our 5mo pup Splat, who's on house arrest cuz she got glanced off a car the other day... checkin out the new bebies!!!
    [​IMG]

5. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Ok, another question.. I have another tote, and I was thinking maybe seperate some of em? Since there's so many in one brooder? [​IMG]

Would it be better for me to post id pics in the breeds/genetics sub-forum? [​IMG]

6. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    The black and yellow looks like my barred rock and black australorpe chicks.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] They are very cute! Yes, you will definitely need another tote quite soon, as they'll grow like weeds over the next few weeks... I can see some greyish chicks down in the tote...what are they??? Love their coloring...

8. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:I'm glad to hear this. I looked at both at TSC and wasn't sure what my best bet would be.

Yup, they are doin really well with them. I was gonna go cheap and make some homemade ones, but ended up just getting these instead

Quote:Yup, some are "fluttering" around, its pretty funny to watch [​IMG] I've got the greenish netting over the top of the tote, to keep em from gettin any ideas, so hopefully, I won't find any chicks running helter skelter round the house anytime soon [​IMG]

9. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:kewl thanks!! [​IMG] doin a google image check brings up pretty much cookie cutter copies of the chicks I have
    Quote:Yup, I'd figured it wouldn't be long before they'd get split up anyways [​IMG] Once they get bigger, if they didn't, it'd be standing room only [​IMG]

The greyish ones are the White Crested Blue Polish chicks I ordered.. Got 4 of em, though one is completely yellow, the others are yellowish grey [​IMG]

10. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Your babies are adorable!!!

Chick number 1 looks kinda like my New Hampshires did when they arrived. My RIR's were a little darker orange in color. But as this is my first batch of chicks, I'm no expert. [​IMG]

Here are their pics:

[​IMG]
    New Hampshire

[​IMG]
    Rhode Island Red

Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by