Bebies arrived this morning! And already "flying" WOW!

X2Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Homer, GA
So my order from Ideal arrived today. 21 healthy vocal chicks!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

chicks.jpg

5 Welsummers
4 White crested blue polish
2 Pearl Guinneas
10 Assorted chicks, SR

I've figured out the Welsummers, Polish and Guinneas, I'm tryin to ID some of the Assorted chicks...

A couple of the chicks are HUGE
ep.gif
bout twice the size as the others, and the guinneas are so tiny!
love.gif

One of the Polish is solid yellow... the rest are blue and yellow... wonder if I got 3 boys and 1 girl
hu.gif
A couple of em "flew" round the bottom of the brooder.. well, it looked like flying at least
lol.png
Very cute! and speeeeeeeeeedy!!!

I'll try and get some individual pictures of the questionable chicks shortly.....
thumbsup.gif

Oh, and on the chick waterer thing... At the local TSC, they had what they called Quail Waters. Same concept as the gallon style, but the well around the bottom is smaller, making it near impossible for chicks to get in and drown, so I picked up 2 of them instead of using a couple jar lids, and they're working terrific!!

And a question... All TSC had were 125W white bulbs...and 250W red.. I got the 125, thinking the 250 would get too hot for the chicks, and I was thinkin the red would be better. Could I take a sharpie and color one of the 125's red? I don't think it'd hurt the chicks.. or the bulb for that matter, LOL! Or should I just go get a 250W red *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been very surprised by how well my 2 weeks olds are flying - I'm going to have to put together a lid for the brooder this weekend, or I expect to come home & find them loose in the basement!

Carmen & 'Lupe are both getting close to a foot off the ground already and Rosy seems to planning a 2 stage escape via the water bottle!

They grow up so FAST!

Ok, heres some pics of the assortment...

Chick #1... RIR?
rir.jpg

WCB Polish.. the solid one.. pullet? The green is marker.. I asked them to mark breeds for me.. I hoped they'd list the 10 assorted breeds, but, they marked the others instead, oh well! LOL

polish.jpg

There's this pair...?
pair.jpg

This one... theres another that looks like 'im, just more black and bigger
IMG00575.jpg

BigBoy (biggest of the batch) smiliar to the one above
bigboy.jpg

No clue on this one?
chick2.jpg

There's 2 of these, Buff Orphingtons?
buff.jpg

And here's our 5mo pup Splat, who's on house arrest cuz she got glanced off a car the other day... checkin out the new bebies!!!
splatwchicks.jpg

Ok, another question.. I have another tote, and I was thinking maybe seperate some of em? Since there's so many in one brooder?
hu.gif

Would it be better for me to post id pics in the breeds/genetics sub-forum?
hu.gif

love.gif
They are very cute! Yes, you will definitely need another tote quite soon, as they'll grow like weeds over the next few weeks... I can see some greyish chicks down in the tote...what are they??? Love their coloring...

Quote:
I'm glad to hear this. I looked at both at TSC and wasn't sure what my best bet would be.

Yup, they are doin really well with them. I was gonna go cheap and make some homemade ones, but ended up just getting these instead

Quote:
Yup, some are "fluttering" around, its pretty funny to watch
gig.gif
I've got the greenish netting over the top of the tote, to keep em from gettin any ideas, so hopefully, I won't find any chicks running helter skelter round the house anytime soon
fl.gif

Quote:
kewl thanks!!
thumbsup.gif
doin a google image check brings up pretty much cookie cutter copies of the chicks I have
Quote:
Yup, I'd figured it wouldn't be long before they'd get split up anyways
gig.gif
Once they get bigger, if they didn't, it'd be standing room only
gig.gif

The greyish ones are the White Crested Blue Polish chicks I ordered.. Got 4 of em, though one is completely yellow, the others are yellowish grey
hu.gif

Your babies are adorable!!!

Chick number 1 looks kinda like my New Hampshires did when they arrived. My RIR's were a little darker orange in color. But as this is my first batch of chicks, I'm no expert.
smile.png

Here are their pics:

IMG_4696.jpg

New Hampshire

IMG_4715.jpg

Rhode Island Red

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom