Becoming a Game Warden...

c0dywhite

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Organ Cave, WV
This is a strange topic, but I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know or is a game warden on here?
2. Do they like their job?
3. Is it worth it?
4. What kind of training camp does one have to go to?
5. What state are you a game warden in (or someone you know).

-Thanks!
P.S.
I was wanting to become a game warden when I finish high school, so that's why I ask!

I think it greatly differs from state to state. Here in Mass they don't have game wardens anymore per se. What we now have is environmental police which have a broad scope of duties from hunting and fishing law enforcement to commercial fishing enforcement as well. Also they are the agency where you register your boat(but not trailer) ATV or RV and enforcement of laws that go with them. They also patrol the coast and lakes via boat checking for offenders also including any type of polluters. They patrol the states forests during both hunting and non hunting seasons. They also get in involved with any environmental pollution from hazardous waste. Like I said the scope is large and probably more than I even know. Even make sure no one is picking a protected plant or taking an endangered species.

There was a time long ago here that a warden job was a job you got by knowing somebody, didn't matter your knowledge of the job as you learned as you went. But now you have to be college educated to get the job with a background in any or all the fields I mentioned earlier. Of course knowing somebody will help too, in this state anyway. There are some colleges that offer classes that pertain to game and fishing laws and environmental issues. I know this because I have one in college and another ready to go so have seen lots of programs from different schools. My advice to you is decide where your would like to become a warden or EP. Then ask one what it takes or call their office, I am sure they will be more than willing to help. A lot of people don't like wardens but they are just doing their jobs and really decent guys or gals.

I do know someone that was a warden originally but is an EP now and he likes it. Like any job it has its ups and downs but the pay is great,he gets a state issued truck and no heavy lifting. When he isn't working for the agency he will actually do any police details through various towns around where he lives.So its a good job with great pay and great pension.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
I live in WV, but I don't want to become a game warden here. It's nothing about where I live, it's just I want to go out & see the world. I have always loved the outdoors & anything to do with the outdoors, so I decided I want to become a game warden. At first it was a taxidermist, but im still interested in it too.
I was thinking about going to Montana, but I have to have a Bacholers Degree (which is four years of college) & I won't graduate high school until 2014.
Also, I have to become a resident of Montana & of course go do the traing or whatever it is.
I picked Montana bc I always wanted to move west & I see that show on Outdoor channel called Wardens & it's in Montana.
Thanks for listening & the advice! Lol.

You might already know this, but there are many sides to being a warden. I've known many wardens, from California to Montana, New York, Oregon and some with the USFWS, and my background is in fisheries biology where you meet quite a few. In many states, budget cuts have really hampered the fish and game departments ability to do the traditional job of a game warden. In California, the department has been underbudgeted and understaffed for many years. Now they are shifting focus and have almost become anti-hunting. They have so many other responsibilities, much like the poster above mentioned, that your idea of a warden's job might not be reality in alot of places. Even if you found a traditional game warden's position without a college degree, remember that you are constantly coming in to contact with armed people who may or may not want to talk to you. Poaching, whether for fish, game or shellfish is serious business and the folks who do it can be very dangerous. In California and many other states, wardens spend alot of time dealing with pot growers and meth labs.

Montana is a place where a warden's job is still much the same as it always was. If you went to college first, you'd be way ahead of the game whether you stayed a warden or did something else. Go ahead and go west, but in my opinion, finish college first. It's tough to go back later. With the world the way it is, a degree in law enforcement could be a valuable degree to have if you like that work. Wildlife and fisheries management jobs are not plentiful and most of the jobs are with the government. Montana State in Bozeman has a great wildlife and fisheries program, and most likely has a program for enforcement.

Good luck,

Pete

Thanks for the info & I plan on going & finishing college. Who knows, later down the road I may not want to become a game warden? I'm just trying to figure it out & see what I want to do.
Thanks again!

Most everything is becoming college based for gaining a foot in the door. Used to be you could put your time in and work your way up, but now you'll find yourself stuck if you don't have a degree. I believe you need to be 21 to be considered, so that's 3 years of college right there while you wait to be of age.

4 years of college to be a game warden or cop is a lot of school for the salaries they get. Most game wardens make about 5000.00 a month before taxes. You will most likely have a loan to repay and the fact that game warden positions are very limited the chances are against you unless you eat sleep and drink being a warden. The four year requirement for a warden is usually to prevent every hillbilly out there from applying and actually they train you to be a warden. Most police jobs do not require more than a highschool diploma. Some sage advice... if you are going to go to school, get in debt right out of highschool go for the high paying jobs you might enjoy and maybe it won't take you ten years to pay your loan back. We are over the 50% mark on college graduates making minimum wage or barely above upon graduating. I decided that instead of schooling I would borrow money for a business and it has worked well for me... just an alternative way of doing things.

Well okay.
You did ask. Most game wardens have an associates degree if any. Here in Oregon the state police are our game wardens and they train inhouse and hire with a highschool diploma. They actually pay a little better than a traditional game warden but have more authority. I have researched this because I once thought of doing the same thing but the pay was limited and the field was very limited. If you really want to be a cop go and read some forums about what being a cop is about. Most of your friends will be cops and don't ask me why it just works out that way. I respect the law but now that I am an adult I know that I would never want to be one and I actually applied for the position , scored very well in all the tests and interviews but was told I am too old now.

Back
Top Bottom