Bedding for indoor chickens?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
My two chickens currently show some sort of respiratory condition and need to be kept inside for a bit. I've already given them antibiotics and it's better but they're still not at 100%. I think I should keep them inside for another week or two. I haven't tried sweet PDZ but would this and pine shavings be a good option for their bedding? Would the sweet PDZ help with the smell? I've also found some people using cat litter when keeping indoor chickens. I don't know much about this. Has anyone tried that?

Why are you keeping them indoors? They would do better outside with as much fresh air as possible. What are you treating them with?
I gave them Tylan 50 3x a day for 5 days. .25 cc per body weight. They weren't eating much so I had to make sure they were eating and so I could check up on them. They had mucus and their breathing sounded "bubbly". I also gave them VetRx. I thought I should keep them warm since they're not at 100 yet. It's also been raining a lot here and I thought the moisture in their coop wouldn't help.

Is bringing them into the house a direction from a veterinarian?

A human house is almost always an ill-ventilated environment which is unlikely to be beneficial for a bird with a respiratory problem. :)
No, no vet here. I was trying to keep them warm. My brother's gf also left 3 new chickens here that I think may have given them something so I had to separate them. The 3 birds are gone now but I will have to sanitize the coop first. Will vinegar work?

No, no vet here. I was trying to keep them warm. My brother's gf also left 3 new chickens here that I think may have given them something so I had to separate them. The 3 birds are gone now but I will have to sanitize the coop first. Will vinegar work?

I can't advise on disinfecting a coop because I have no experience in that.

I just know that our homes often have very poor air quality inside. Can you open a window in the room where they are?

If you think those birds gave them the current respiratory infection, sanitizing the coop is a moot point now. I would just do a regular cleaning of it and maybe spray it with permethrin prior to bedding it down just to be on the safe side.
How are you dosing the Tylan?

Last edited:
I can't advise on disinfecting a coop because I have no experience in that.

I just know that our homes often have very poor air quality inside. Can you open a window in the room where they are?
Yes, I can.

If you think those birds gave them the current respiratory infection, sanitizing the coop is a moot point now. I would just do a regular cleaning of it and maybe spray it with permethrin prior to bedding it down just to be on the safe side.
How are you dosing the Tylan?
Permethrin? Isn't that for bugs? I gave it to them by mouth with a needleless syringe.

Back
Top Bottom