Beefy Needs Your Help! UPDATE on Florence and her mystery egg

killdeer nests are extremely difficult to see. i'll have to take a picture of one next time i find a nest. it always amazes me that they dont get stepped on by the cows or run over by me.

I am on pins and needles waiting for an update tomorrow!
Did you candle them?
Figure out what it is? (my humble guess would be an abnormal egg from Flo...but I really don't no nuttin)

My Black Sexlink laid a wind/fart egg just the other day. All the eggs were light brown in the nest except the wind egg. My guess was because the egg was that much smaller(1/4 size of her normal eggs) the pigment on the egg was "concentrated". I know it sounds weird, but the wind egg was almost the color of a Marans egg and was rough at both ends from extra "calcium"(maybe pigmentation). I'll "try" to remember to take pictures of her normal eggs compared to her wind egg. Perhaps your hen just laid a wind egg and the pigmentation was messed up like with my hen's.

-Kim

thats what i keep saying too normajean. i noticed one n the fridge the other day was tinted slightly brown whereas her others are white. but then when i go and look at it in person i'm like theres no way thats a chicken egg. as long as a silkie or nekkidneck doesnt pop out its all good. or showgirl, that would be even worse.

Quote:
ive thought about that too Kim, concentrated b/c so much smaller. i guess if it doenst hatch it will be safe to assume its her chicken egg and didnt have a yolk. but her other wind egg is long and white so who knows.

so far ive ruled out:

toucan
blue bird
ostrich
emu
rhea
dodo
killdeer
goose
BROWN THRASHER
and mockingbird.

Keep posting! I can't wait to see what happens!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom