bees!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rte.66_chicks, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    [​IMG]

These showed up two days ago. I think they are really cool, but my DH is not so impressed-says he got stung a lot as a kid. Didn't think it was too funny when I replied that they only sting to defend nest or self. I guess he stepped on some barefoot in a clover lawn when he was little, and didn't learn too quick to wear shoes or watch where he was stepping.

Anyway, we contacted a beekeeper in Phoenix.(closest one our Ag Extension office had a # for) He said they should leave in a day or so, and if not to put a smoke source under them and they will leave.

Are any of you BYC members beekeepers also, and could give me more advice?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They are swarming, looking for a place to set up a new hive. Watch that they do not choose a area such as a closed in area of a barn. They usually will find a hollowed out tree if possible. At this point they should not bother you, unless you bother them. PLEASE do not bug spray them, we(actually worldwide) lost a lot of colonies last season. They should find a new spot in a couple of days. Bees are esential for polinating most plants. I am surprised there are not beekeepers in your area willing to come capture the swarm.

3. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    Aridzona is a wee bit out of my range,but I'd "bee" there in a N.Y. minute to gather that swarm! BTW I lost 80% of my hives last year and granted,I'm just a hobbyist apiarist,that was still 38 hives and a good income to a small farmer.

4. newchickwi

newchickwi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Butternut, WI
    There are often local bee clubs and their info can be found on the internet. This one is based in Tuscon (quite a distance from you, I know), but beekeepers often know quite a few others and may be able to steer you in the right direction: http://www.naturallyhealthyaz.com/index.php?page=beeclub . Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by