Beginner question

backyardpoultry

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi, i am 15 years old and im new to the whole backyard chicken thing. i recently bought 4 chickens at a poultry swap at a nearby tractor supply. When i got them home 2 saturdays ago i set everything up and got them settled into their new environment. the next morning (sunday) there was 1 egg i was surprised one laid one on the first day because a lot of people say they dont lay for a day or two. but i was surprised that by noon they laid 2 more. that whole next week i got 2 eggs a day steady until one day i got 1 then the next day i got 3. but now 2 weeks later i am only getting 1-2 eggs and i believe that one of my chickens is not laying. could their egg production be something im doing wrong? or could it be that i got old birds that dont lay a lot ( the guy that sold them to me said they were 1.5 years old) how can i figure out which ones are good and which ones aren't laying? Thanks so much in advance anything is helpful if you have any questions i could probably answer most of them.
thumbsup.gif

To tell if they are laying or not you need to measure their pubic bones. It's right below their vent. When mine are laying they are either 3 or four fingers width apart. Anything smaller they are not laying. If you are getting one to two a day then they might all be laying depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom