Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

My first try last month I had bulb blow in my homemade bator. It happened while I was at work on day 16/17. Temp had dropped to low 90's. Still ended up hatching 11 out 15. They are 4 weeks now

I bought some bulbs from a group that employs only handicapped. They are 5 year bulbs. If anyone is interested I can give you there contact information.

Hi guys

I had a 6 hour power outage on day 18. On day 21 three pipped and hatched. Today is day 23. No more pips or hatched.
I did three "eggtopsies" selected at random. All three were perfectly formed full grown chicks with a good yellow yolk, no signs of bacteria or any other issue - apart from being totally dead!
The night before the power outage all of them were moving inside their eggs.....

Really sad.

Have 12 eggs still in incubator, shall I sit tight or bin them?

Today is day 19 I have one moving around and chriping! I at least know I did something right this time around. Super excited to see what hatches.

Hurray!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif

He this result from an eggtopsie today, day 24.... Approx six hours power out on day 18.

Any ideas as to whether I should keep them going or bin them? Three have already hatched, no more peeped.

Dilemma, bin or be patient?

He this result from an eggtopsie today, day 24.... Approx six hours power out on day 18.

Any ideas as to whether I should keep them going or bin them? Three have already hatched, no more peeped.

Dilemma, bin or be patient?
Well, having NO previous experience I would say keep them going another day or so. Why not go ahead and candle as well.

I candled all 3 eggs that I pipped and hatched today. I KNEW one was a quitter. Well, that was the first egg to pip and hatch. The egg that had the most movement is my late bloomer. She has pipped and is still working her way out. She will be a 22 to 23 day hatch. At least she pipped at 21. With this said, you can take any chicken advice I give with a grain of salt (or a little bit of Hot Sauce).

So, I think another day wouldn't hurt. I sure hope you get a few!

This little one was our 5th to hatch. Its not as active as the others and it has what I guess is the yolk still attached. Is there anything we should do or will it dry up on its own?

This little one was our 5th to hatch. Its not as active as the others and it has what I guess is the yolk still attached. Is there anything we should do or will it dry up on its own?

Oh man, I'm not very experianced with chickens, but that does NOT look like a yolk to me!
I would take that to the emergency part of the forum and see what the experts have to say, if I were you.
Best of luck for you and the poor baby!

We had one hatch like this. Was the umbilical cord still attached? Was the hatch bloodier than the others? It looks like the intestines. We attempted to push them in but they were too far out. We had to put the chick down to end her suffering. It was so heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom