1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Belgian Bearded d'Uccle show questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lucyluvchickens, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Hey y'all! I know a lot of y'all out there have Belgian Bearded d'Uccle chickens. They are absolutely my favorite breed of chicken. I do showmanship in 4h, and sometimes I want to look up some questions to help me out, but sometimes there isn't really exactly what I want. So, I thought I would make a list of Things you should know for showing, showmanship, and just about this breed!

•Full breed name: Belgian Bearded d'Uccle.

•Class: Feather legged

•varieties of the breed: mottled, Mille Fleur, splash, Self Blue, White, Black, golden neck, and Porcelain.

•They have a single comb

•They are very popular for their muffs, beard, feather legs, and vulture hocks.

•they originated in Uccle Belgium in the beginning of the 20th century.

•cock should weigh about 36 ounces, hen should weigh about 22 ounces, cockerel should weigh about 22 ounces, puller should weigh about 20 ounces.

•check the beard, muff, under the wings, and the vent for mites.

•the first d'Uccle that was every shown was in 1905.

•the heart rate should be about 280-315 beats per minute.

•the temperature for chickens should be about 102-105°F
    (Sorry those two facts above me had to do with all chickens :plbb)

•they have 4 toes

•they should have about 14-18 feathers on each wing.( including the primaries, axial feather, and the secondaries.)

Lol those are the only ones I could think of right now. :D please ask if you have any more questions about d'Uccles
    Thanks!
    -Lucy

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh! how about adding when the varieties were admitted to the standard? :)

Mille Fleur ..... 1914
    Porcelain ..... 1965
    White ..... 1981
    Black ..... 1996
    Golden Neck ..... 1996
    Mottled ..... 1996
    Self Blue ..... 1996

3. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Ohhhhhh i had a feeling that I forgot a variety [​IMG] Thanks I will [​IMG]

4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah! A lot of people dont know about golden necked though either because they are seemingly so rare! I've only seen one and it was a gold neck mottled :D Gorgeous babe!

5. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas

Omg yes!! So gorgeous [​IMG]

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We used to have a Porcelain D'Uccle rooster named Gumball who won best of breed but not champion (got beat out by another cutie sadly) and we had to get rid of him because even though he was a super sweet gentleman he was also one hell of a crower! D'Uccles are amazing birds since they're so easily sexable too! We could tell he was a boy when he was 2 weeks old!! They make such gentle birds too, his hatch-mate (the Mille in the picture) Truffles who is a booted bantam was also a super sweetheart though she had leg complications last year that were unfixable :( I've defiantly had a ton of fun with this breed and would not turn down getting some more in the future if I could <3 <3 <3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what are "vulture hocks?"

8. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    To put very simply they are a group of feathers that go off of the leg on some breeds, technically they are:

A well defined formation off stiff, straight and rather long feathers growing from the lower part of the thighs and projecting backward and downward, a disqualification in all Asiatics including their bantam counterparts; a standard requirement in d 'Uccle, Booted, and Sultans.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by