Beloved dog attacked beloved chickens. UPDATE-BOTH GONE pg 5 :-(

lol, I certainly understand the husband issue. I worked on mine for over a year to convince him we "needed" chickens. Building the coop wasn't free and he did complain about how much money we spent on them at first. Now he loves the eggs and likes watching them outside. He wasn't thrilled one lived in the house with us for those 10 days, but it worked out. When our 10 year old daughter won Grand Champion at the county fair with them, it was all worth it to him!
wee.gif

Check out eBay and see if you can find a used fence unit. You can lay the wire yourself. We didn't bury it, it just lays on top of the ground. Has for years and we have only had one incident with lightening hitting it. Before we moved the fence, I chained up our dog while the chickens were out, poor thing!

Now I'm working on him trying to convince him we "need" goats...

Good Luck!

Quote:
yeah...one gun might be useful tho.....a water gun!!! Every time he looks like he wants to 'go-at-them' spray him. Usually on the mussel if you can manage. They DONT like it.

Good luck!! ^^

Wow - you have a handful! You did a good thing, taking in your rescue dogs and turning them around. What some folks think is OK to do to a dog - or any living creature - never ceases to amaze me ... or turn my stomach.
I've got a similar situation in that my cocker spaniel (who had been dumped on the street, was emaciated and covered in nastiness so I took her in) wants to eat my chickens. I can't blame her because it's her natural response. I didn't realize this would be such an issue until I transitioned my pullets and cockerel into the coop a week ago. Now my dog is watching 'Chicken TV' through the coop door and is barking and scratching at it. So I'm going to build a fence separating my dog and my chickens. I read on BYC about putting shock collars on the dog that activate when they get in range of the coop. Another post suggested solar-powered electrical fencing around the periphery of the coop / run, which will deter dogs along with coons and other wildlife. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to pay for these remedies at the moment - bottom line: do what you can do to separate your dog from your chickens.
And that's a really cute dog, BTW
smile.png

Water guns work well on some dogs, but my advice would be to teher the dog to you - everywhere. Until he knows that you, and only you, make the decisions in the family, he can not be trusted. If he is not tethered to you and you are unable to babysit him, he goes in his crate (or other designated area. (You have your hands full enough with a baby to have to constatnly watch the dog). I have quite a few dogs - many with a great prey drive. My chickens are kept in a covered run and the dogs have 6 ft tall kennels. THe kennels are fenced away from the chickens just in case (one of my dogs eats chain link - I swear!). My dogs are only allowed loose in the back yard supervised - mostly because I insist that they only potty in the kennels - not all over my yard. I am lazy, I'll be darned I'm going to search an acre just to scoop poop. Since confining my birds and dogs, I haven
t lost a thing to my dogs at least - I'm still working on the neighbors free-ranging pet murdering dogs. grrrr!

Obedience training, pack structure and confinement - that's the way to go.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Everytime I look at the Rooster I smile or cuddle him. Sooo cute.
Ive raised my 3 bantam girls (dont know breed yet) from 3 day old chicks...they are absolutely beautiful.
My 3 daughters are very attached to them, & I consider them all 'family'
They are the sweetest animal I have encountered, even tho they can be nasty toward each other at times.

No one deliberately sets about getting their chickens harmed, so, hopefully put it all behind you, & put it
down as lesson learned for this week. Each day theyre getting better.

Im keeping my ear to the ground regarding next doors 3 dogs. They've just finished having a big fight.
They dont know how to treat their animals nice at all. I hope they dont start digging under the fence to
get to my chickens....there will be *&^% to pay if they do...
hu.gif

Quote:
yeah...one gun might be useful tho.....a water gun!!! Every time he looks like he wants to 'go-at-them' spray him. Usually on the mussel if you can manage. They DONT like it.

Good luck!! ^^

OMG - totally forgot about water spray training! We're doing that with our puppy who wants to bark all the time. Of course, it only works if you're there when the dog exhibits the behavior, unfortunately...

Thank you for taking in rescue dogs. It sounds like they have a fantastic home with you!

I have 4 wonderful rescue dogs (3 pits, 1 chi) that although sweet I know would hurt the chickens if they had access. I made sure to really predator-proof my run (skirting out 1x1 inch mesh wire about one foot out at the bottom.) The mesh is sturdy and has been great keeping dogs and predators out, and my chickens in.

My dogs have gotten used to the chickens, but do love to tease them sometimes. The sturdy fence has worked well, and the chickens largely ignore the dogs knowing that they cannot get in.

Please don't give up on your dogs or chickens - you CAN make it work!

Good luck...

Gosh, folks, so much good advice and so many kind words. I think I am going to look for a relatively inexpensive invisible fence, plus training is in order. We've already begun today. The little dog is looking at me like, "what the heck?"...

Can anyone suggest a good brand of invisible fence that is reasonably priced? Also, one that is good for small dogs. Would rather do an electric fence but with a little boy around... I dunno...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom