Beloved dog attacked beloved chickens. UPDATE-BOTH GONE pg 5 :-(

When I checked on them this morning, they were lying next to each other with their little eyes closed, gone. I think one died and the other just gave up. They were the sweetest things, especially my speckled sussex, Rose, who had just gotten over a leg injury. Dorothy, the Black Australorp was the queen of the coop. I will really miss them and always remember what they taught me. I love you Rose and Dorothy!

From when they were babies, Rose:

90790_2011-08-09_14-36-42_910.jpg

And Dorothy:

90790_2011-08-09_14-36-37_36.jpg

Adding chickens to our families, human and extended animal members , is a learning process. I have well trained dogs ( many hours of training) and their very large fenced run is theirs and they are "on Duty" in that space. Even their beloved cats are not allowed in. Only human family is allowed in. Dogs are dogs; chickens are chickens. Horses are horses: my brood mare will attack and bite a dog in her paddock. SHe stands up to coyotes too!

Mixing different species of animals has it's challenges. I'm sorry you lost your beloved girls. My suggestion, if you are willing, is to hire a very good dog trainer to train both you and your dogs.This puts you in the control seat. I can call a dog off a chicken.

Sorry about your girls--not your fault. Live and learn and figure out a solution that works for you and your extended family.
smile.png

Thank you all for the kind words. I am feeling better now but it was a tough morning for the family. Now it's all about figuring out the best tools for the pooches. Of course I am going to train him but also wanted to purchase a deterent/invisible barrier of some kind. Suggestions great appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom