beltsville whites

syble

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
michigan
I just set some beltsville whites and was wondering what the difference is between them, midget whites, and the other white varieties?
Thanks
Sib

The Beltsville was bred to be a smaller, uniform meat turkey. It was bred at the Beltsville, MD USDA research facilty in the 1940's and that is where the name came from. At one time it was the #1 selling turkey in the USA. The Midget White came along later in the late 50's and is the same idea as the Beltsville. The other heritage white is the White Holland and they are much larger with toms in the upper 30 pound range, the Belts and Midget toms go right at 20 pounds.

The belts and midgets were doomed when the broad breasted white came on the scene in late 50's and early 60's - 1/2 the grow out time and twice the weight.

The Midget is the best tasting of the 3 heritage varieties, the Belt the best layer, the Holland the most calm natured. The belts and holland are in the APA standard the midget is not.

Steve

sounds like a good all around farm turkey then
smile.png
I'd still like to get either burbon reds and/or royal palms too i think. Any idea how they compare?
Thanks
Sib

Wondering if you ever got either Bourbon reds or any other heritage breeds.

If you haven't, I will tell you that white hollands, midgets, beltsville, even royal palms are excellent fox and coyote fodder. That is if you raise them truly open range and let them roam the farm. They go off to nest in the weeds and because of their lite colour are easy targets for these maraudering thieving varmits.

I have also had borubon reds and found that they are better survivors because they blend in better but the best survivalist in those conditions are naragansetts or bronze.

I've had bronze ones even bring home wild turkeys that have intermingled and mated with them.

I've had bronze ones even bring home wild turkeys that have intermingled and mated with them.
This is my first year with turkey. I have a pair of bronze. I noticed how much they look like the wild turkeys and kept them penned up during the last hunting season. The next hunting season in our state is March 31 - May 13. I've already put day-glo orange flagging tape streamers on their wings. Hopefully, any hunters on my farmer neighbors' land will think before they shoot. Or am I dreaming?

This is my first year with turkey. I have a pair of bronze. I noticed how much they look like the wild turkeys and kept them penned up during the last hunting season. The next hunting season in our state is March 31 - May 13. I've already put day-glo orange flagging tape streamers on their wings. Hopefully, any hunters on my farmer neighbors' land will think before they shoot. Or am I dreaming?

Sorry but your dreaming, If I where you take that ribbon off as it will attract the hunters attention. Then they will shout it thinking its tangled in garbage...sorry but this is the truth at least thats how it works around here.

try putting color zip ties on the legs. I do this and they have not been shot yet
fl.gif
i put 2 on each leg and this help me to identify my turkeys as well!!

hu.gif

Anyone know where to get true Beltsvilles?? Seems like there are a lot of people who get them confused with Midget Whites, especially since you can show Midgets as Beltsvilles.

I want hatching eggs from a reputable person!!

Please think about helping me, if you can.

I have four Beltvilles. two toms and two hens. They have even started laying. I have gotten three eggs to date. Two were frozen and one I have to check for fertility. I bought mine from a wonderful lady out of Fort Collins, Colorado and she got them from a breeder in the Mid west and it took her 5 years to get them. I can send pics if you want. I am sure these are pure and not midget whites. They fit the breed standard to a T. I can give you the name of my supplier and maybe she can give you more info. Just pm me. I maybe able to share the eggs.

Hello, I am looking for the best thread to subscribe to about Belts......I have "acquired" 6. they were young (getting older). I am needing to know what to watch for to tell toms from hens? They are young still...I have 2 that like to fluff up like a tom...but other than that...they all look identical. I raise Seramas and Orps...with the chickens I know to watch comb growth and color, leg size, etc....but still learning about the turkeys. NO....my turkeys are not run with my chickens- they are in a grow up pen that had not had chickens in it. They will eventually be rehomed into a coop/pen combo that I am building foir them.

So I love them, they are a lot of fun. The idea was to keep 2 toms and hens and butchur the extra toms...well, husband has become too attached and so I will have to sell/rehome any extra toms....but next year he has to stay away (husband) from my grow out pen.

But, again, is there any tips or secrets you can share to help me begin to distinguish males from females?

Back
Top Bottom