Benefits of having a male bird

Quote:
Maybe he is just making sure they are still listening, and they aren't tuning him out.
lau.gif

My rooster Stan, a six month old Silver-laced Wyandotte, refuses to come out of his compartment at one end of the coop when it's below freezing like this morning. However, there are two nest boxes on his end that the girls use while he's usually out patrolling the perimeter of the pen. So when one insisted on using her favorite box, I let her in with Stan. She hopped into a box and he hopped in with her, proceeding to help her fluff up the wood shavings. Then he settled down right beside her. Soon she grew tired of all the unaccustomed togetherness and hopped into the other nest box and laid her egg.

As for finding good things for his hens when they're out free-ranging, he sometimes pretends to have discovered something, and when a curious hen runs over to see what he's found, he fast as lightening hops aboard for a quick @#$%.

You all are so right - roosters are good for something new every day! A year and a half ago when I got my first two adult hens, I never dreamed I was in for so much high quality entertainment.

Talk about entertaining roosters. As I left the chicken run with two semi frozen water founts the run door closed behind me. While I tried to remove the ice and empty the founts I heard one of the hens squawking in an unfamiliar tone. It sounded as if she were being killed. I turned and realized the pea brained hen decided to stick her head out of the door threshold to get the one last piece of green grass on the lawn. When the door closed her head was stuck under the door and she could not move. With her head on the ground and her back section in the air our love sick
love.gif
rooster Sid.........well lets just say he took full advantage of the situation.
ep.gif
I turned and waved him away so I could free her from Sids' perverted little bondage toy
thumbsup.gif
. As I opened the door slowly as to not hurt her Sid felt he wasn't done and...... well he hit it one more time
woot.gif
. I laughed so much and thought about all the people that don't understand how entertaining chickens can be. I hope to have many more years of chicken entertainment!

Quote:
I think you guys are all missing something with your replies, if you look what he said and then go back to his original you will see how it plays out using the other word.

I know that the OP was playing on words. Thanks

Quote:
I think you guys are all missing something with your replies, if you look what he said and then go back to his original you will see how it plays out using the other word.

I think everybody saw it, we're just ignoring it since it doesn't fit into the family freindly theme. Besides the roosters antics are more entertaining.
tongue.png

I wouldn't have a flock without a rooster anymore. Like you all say they are entertaining to watch. I love wathing my white silie "Billy" dance around in the morning trying to impress his girls.

Quote:
Sounds like you have my flock
smile.png

Elvis has already 'taken on for the team". He was attacked by a hawk. He was nursed back to health, no small task having a rooster on your home for 3 weeks! He is fine now but is blind in his right eye. Doesn't seem to be to bad off.

Back
Top Bottom