Bereft…the tears just won’t stop.

Oops!

How old is puppy?
We need pics ;) :D
The Monster, with incredibly razor sharp baby teeth. She is 4 months and is 100% apricot poodle.

And she smells and is going to get a bath as soon as I hit Done.

Attachments

• 18F8A9DD-4E39-4BB4-845C-1199F6D3D19C.jpeg
    18F8A9DD-4E39-4BB4-845C-1199F6D3D19C.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 5
I have been partially forgiven. (Sniff)

Guess who showed up at my door this morning? My beautiful, injured, SLO showed up at my door.

Plus, I think I know what happened.

About three months ago I bought a poodle puppy from a breeder. Yesterday while I was doing some outdoor chores I remember catching out of the side of my eye the puppy chasing one of the chickens. I think that is what happened as her injuries are at the tail and lower back just above the tail.

She hid under the porch all day/night and came out this morning.

I have bandaged her wounds. A fed her… she is eating well. I gave her a baby aspirin.

She appears to be doing well; she has eaten most of a large scrambled egg, but so far has not been interested in water. Regardless, I have learned a very very very very big lesson.
Luckily for you that your puppy is still a puppy. Train the puppy! And it seems like she may have just been “playing” with the chickens. It is still sad no matter how you look at it.

Edit: maybe she wasn’t playing with them, I wrote this before seeing the pictures.

My dog got ahold of all 12 ducks and 6, 3week old chicks. She however was NOT playing with them and we had a hard time training her before we even got chickens. So we did EVERYTHING we could to keep her away. But she was determined. So even if you train your puppy, you may still want to keep your guard up and take precautions.

I’m sorry for the losses you have suffered. We ALL make mistakes and we will ALL do something wrong. No one is perfect. All that can be done is live and learn. I myself had to learn this hard lesson. And my heart breaks everyday. More because my dog did it. And not a random predator.

I hope your chicken recovers and I hope the puppy will learn!

Last edited:
Miss Liliane is no longer allowed outside without being on a leash. That means that I now have to schedule walks… at least until the chooks are put away for the night.

Additionally, with the help of a very dear (older) friend, I am purchasing a 22 rifle on Tuesday. (22 or .22???)

Third, no more sloppy egg habits, and no more leaving cat food out all night.

Fourth, free ranging now takes place in my front yard: no huge weeds and a very low deck for all chooks to hide under.

Aart: she is a miniature (hahahahaha) but she will be a large mini. I think the term “moyen” is more appropriate. She is 16 lbs at 4 months…which means she should be 32 lbs when full grown. Only time will tell.

My girl is coming along very very well. Dressing change tomorrow and I’ll take more pixs.

FBMcrazy8:

You must have been … I don’t know, absolutely beside yourself with disappointment and self recrimination.

Honestly. my heart goes out to you.

I was chatting with my sister earlier this evening about the problem; she used to live on a Hereford ranch in Montana. They had a serious problem with domestic dogs (think pet) that would get after the cattle, especially when calves were small. Very sad to say the S-S-S rule was strictly enforced. As one radio announcer in the area said, what do you think your pet gets up to when you let them outside on your way to work? Play bridge?

Honestly, I think it was the puppy, this time. Regardless, last time she will be out unsupervised.

Almost forgot: many thanks for your kind words.

Miss Liliane is no longer allowed outside without being on a leash. That means that I now have to schedule walks… at least until the chooks are put away for the night.

Additionally, with the help of a very dear (older) friend, I am purchasing a 22 rifle on Tuesday. (22 or .22???)

Third, no more sloppy egg habits, and no more leaving cat food out all night.

Fourth, free ranging now takes place in my front yard: no huge weeds and a very low deck for all chooks to hide under.

Aart: she is a miniature (hahahahaha) but she will be a large mini. I think the term “moyen” is more appropriate. She is 16 lbs at 4 months…which means she should be 32 lbs when full grown. Only time will tell.

My girl is coming along very very well. Dressing change tomorrow and I’ll take more pixs.
We've seen a coon stealing cat food late at night but never seen it near the coop(we have a camera on it too) Predators have to be cunning otherwise they'll starve or be shot.

Back
Top Bottom