Best animal to "mow" lawn? Need suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by minnesotachicken, Jul 16, 2010.

1. minnesotachicken

minnesotachicken Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    We have 5 acres- way too much lawn to mow! I'd like to get an animal(s) to graze and keep the grass down. Preferably low maintainance- no horses! Thanks all!

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have a similar situation, and want to get some hair sheep. I love goats, but they can be hard to contain, and I don't want any escapees while I'm at work. I'm going to start working on fencing and maybe get a calf hut for shelter. I am SO tired of mowing every week!

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    A couple of sheep will take the grass down really well. Goats prefer brush and won't eat the grass unless they've exhausted all the brush. Personally, I'd go for a mini donkey - they'll protect your chickens from predators.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Geese, cattle, sheep and hogs are all good choices.

5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    The 3 mini donkeys down the street from me cant keep the small 2 acre lot their in eaten down. So I dont think one can keep 5 acres eaten down...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, you wouldn't want just one of any animal anyways.

7. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Well 3 cant keep 2 acres eaten so its going to take more than that to keep 5 acres eaten.......

8. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to suggest human teenager. Give them a few bucks each mowing and you're good to go. You don't have to feed them or fence them in. You also don't have to worry about the accumulated manure because humans won't poo as they're mowing. But that's just what I'd do. There's always area kids looking for a few extra bucks for spending. Keeps them out of trouble, too.

Another idea (which is one on my wish lists) is to turn it into a pick-your-own berry patch and let people come and pay you to pick berries.

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    sheep...best lawnmowers in creation, go with hair sheep for easy keeping, ive got plans to geep a trio of southdowns in an orchard when i finally get my place, theyll take care of the grass so i dont have to worry about mowing around trees!

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You'd still have to mow, because unless they are heavily stocked, the sheep will only eat the things they like, and leave the weeds to grow

Also, some ornamental plants such as Azaleas are poisonous.
    If you leave them on the yard all the time, they will eat it down to the point of killing the grass.
    If you DON'T leave them on it all the time, you'll need seperate pasture and supplemental feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by