Best animal to "mow" lawn? Need suggestions please!

I have a similar situation, and want to get some hair sheep. I love goats, but they can be hard to contain, and I don't want any escapees while I'm at work. I'm going to start working on fencing and maybe get a calf hut for shelter. I am SO tired of mowing every week!

A couple of sheep will take the grass down really well. Goats prefer brush and won't eat the grass unless they've exhausted all the brush. Personally, I'd go for a mini donkey - they'll protect your chickens from predators.

The 3 mini donkeys down the street from me cant keep the small 2 acre lot their in eaten down. So I dont think one can keep 5 acres eaten down...

Last edited:
I was going to suggest human teenager. Give them a few bucks each mowing and you're good to go. You don't have to feed them or fence them in. You also don't have to worry about the accumulated manure because humans won't poo as they're mowing. But that's just what I'd do. There's always area kids looking for a few extra bucks for spending. Keeps them out of trouble, too.

Another idea (which is one on my wish lists) is to turn it into a pick-your-own berry patch and let people come and pay you to pick berries.

sheep...best lawnmowers in creation, go with hair sheep for easy keeping, ive got plans to geep a trio of southdowns in an orchard when i finally get my place, theyll take care of the grass so i dont have to worry about mowing around trees!

You'd still have to mow, because unless they are heavily stocked, the sheep will only eat the things they like, and leave the weeds to grow

Also, some ornamental plants such as Azaleas are poisonous.
If you leave them on the yard all the time, they will eat it down to the point of killing the grass.
If you DON'T leave them on it all the time, you'll need seperate pasture and supplemental feed.

Back
Top Bottom