Best Bait for Raccoons?

This works pretty good lol it for live traps I always used canned tuna or cat food dry or wet

Attachments

• F0823A93-D16A-4B7E-92D8-2C475A78B977.jpeg
    F0823A93-D16A-4B7E-92D8-2C475A78B977.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 14
My residence coons stay away from my poultry yard, because of the dog. The ones I have issues with, I can follow their tracks back to vehicle tracks by the forest preserve. Once a coon has been trapped, it's very hard to trap them again. They learn to avoid them.
Please don't give your problems to someone else. Take responsibility.

So about a year ago on a dreary day I watched as a raccoon walked from our front yard along the side to our back yard under our deck. We didn’t see him after that. Fast forward to a few days ago, about 4 days after our fence was installed in our back yard, it was another dreary day and out was our lovely raccoon friend wandering the fence looking very confused. He eventually went under our upper building I’m pretty sure. We set a live cage trap with an apple but no luck. From experience what is the best bait to use?
We are getting chickens most likely this weekend so the faster we can relocate the boogers the better.
Marshmallows -- they LOVE them!

depends what i have. lol

as a trapper i use cage traps and Duke DP traps. i use bird seed to cat food. i also have tried marshmallows but never got lucky with them for some reason.

yesterday i caught a 19 pound male raccoon, (18 lbs 15 oz if you want the exact weight) on a mixture of corn, barley and oat mix (with molasses added)

So about a year ago on a dreary day I watched as a raccoon walked from our front yard along the side to our back yard under our deck. We didn’t see him after that. Fast forward to a few days ago, about 4 days after our fence was installed in our back yard, it was another dreary day and out was our lovely raccoon friend wandering the fence looking very confused. He eventually went under our upper building I’m pretty sure. We set a live cage trap with an apple but no luck. From experience what is the best bait to use?
We are getting chickens most likely this weekend so the faster we can relocate the boogers the better.
Coons are hard to trap. Try wet cat food or tuna. Good luck, coons are smart!

Actually surprisingly marshmallows! They love the sugar. I've had about 3 flocks decimated by raccoons. If they are nesting around your place, get rid of them! I wasn't too worried about them until they tore down an eave and decided my attic was a home. Now I have 10k worth of damage that insurance won't cover. I used to think they were cute, until I picture my dead mangled chickens. Now I vigilantly trap and destroy, to which my neighbors are delighted that I do.

I raised wild ducks for a couple years. I had lost quite a few young and old ducks to Raccoons. I started trapping them with a Catch & Release trap cage. They love sardines and marshmallows. I would put a little sardine on the outside in front where opening is. I would put some sardines and marshmallows inside trap and more to the back of the trap so they go all the way in and release the trap door. I would drive them to a preserve near a lake and release them. I’ve caught around 4 Raccoons in around 1 yr. My area used to be more rural farms & less houses so we had more critters coming. Now the farms are gone and more housing so there are less critters.
The best thing would be a really secure cage around a duck house. That is what I had to do. I still have it up and it is used by my older male ducks that live on the lake.
11A04300-3ACA-4256-9A5E-A306173849E6.jpeg
8D67C1D9-C074-4CB7-B01A-EBF34A0B26A1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom