Best Beginners Pigeon?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by StevenW., Feb 1, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I like the looks of the Old German Owl Pigeon and the Jacobin Pigeon.
    Would they be good beginner pigeons?
    Or are there better beginner pigeons?

Thanks

2. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I would start with plain ole rollers if it was me. They are less expensive and usually easy to find. Raise them for a spell and see how you like the pigeon fancy then you can branch out to more fancy breeds. And the rollers will be good "feeders" for some of the fancys that need them. You don't have to get into showing or competion flying unless you want. They are an enjoyable breed and easy to raise and one you can just have fun with.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I wouldn't go with Jacobins as they aren't the most hardy and not as ideal for beginners. Rollers or homers are a good start. OGO's are fine as well [​IMG] There are actually many, many breeds that are easy to raise. My first pigeons were Kings.

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:I want something small not something big and they will most likely just be pets and to see how much I like them... And the OGO's are neat do you possible know anyone that sells and ships them? You can either PM or E-mail me.

I want to try them

Since my dad thinks they are *gulp* "rats with wings"

[​IMG]

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    capuchines are nice, they are hardy and have ruffs around their necks, they come in a ton of colors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Them are very pretty!!! I'll PM you later and your website is nice [​IMG]

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    there are so many breeds! Most are fairly straight forward to raise...a few are kinda picky and some are real expensive. The best thing to do is go to a show and start talking with folks. Plus that way you can show dad how many types there are and none look like rats with wings!

by the way..that is a Indian fantail...almond color...I really miss that bird

8. joycenjohnb

joycenjohnb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Pittsville, MD
    I always liked the Parlor Roller. With them you do not need a flight cage because they rarely fly. They are fun to watch as they do back flips across the ground. They come in a lot of colors and are as easy as any other to raise.

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    any breeders in Northern Indiana?

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you want a pet you can get to perch on your hand and will let you pet it, try ringneck doves. They're generally easy to tame, inexpensive, and easy to house.

p.s. I realized I better add that you can't let ringneck doves fly free like you can with homing pigeons, because the doves won't come back and will likely die out in the wild. The white "doves" that you read about being released at weddings, etc., are actually white homing pigeons.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by