1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best brand of duck food.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Number1Sticky, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Number1Sticky

Number1Sticky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Is there really a difference between different feeds? I'm looking for the healthiest brand of duck food. I usually feed them DuMOR[​IMG] Poultry Layer 16% Feed because that's the cheapest stuff but I really want my ducks on the best food available.

Thanks!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I heard Dumor is a great brand. Right now im feeding Layena though

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    The rescues around here actually feed their waterfowl.......

Dog kibbles!

I was impressed with the great condition of the fostered birds, and to top it off I bought some drakes that have been grown on the stuff. He tasted great!

The birds love it, they look fantastic, and there's no waste. A glance at the ingredients is actually pretty sound-- more complete than the nutrena layer crumble I was feeding before.

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    alot of birds will eat dogfood or cat food. its very high in proteins for them, i give it to my peafowl everyday/ and the bluejays even steal some here and there. It would only help them!

5. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    seriously? my ducks eat layena and scratch right now. and duck crack errr peas and any other veggies we give them.
    I gotta try dog or cat food. Any particular brand better for them? My cats are on taste of the wild and the dogs are on blue buffalo.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I like Purina but in my country quite a few of the other brands/products aren't even here. I got three hens many months ago(aprox 6mths old) and they have really changed for the better since being fed on our feeds..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    My kibble of choice is Ol Roy Complete Nutrition-- it's Wal Mart's generic and just Purina in a cheaper bag. $17 and tax for a 50 lb bag and my dogs get it too.

8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I use nutrena all flock. Its a pellet and they waste less of it. Crumbles i find they throw every where and most never get eaten. Nutrena has everything in it that they need. But i do also offer crushed oyster shell for my girls when they are laying.

9. runnersrunn

runnersrunn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Isn't the dog food to big for the ducks to eat? do you water it down? just leave it out?

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:Crush it up into smaller pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by