Best breed for a pet?

icemew

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Hi, I've been trying to find information about different breeds, but a lot of the information tends to be geared toward more professional criteria.

We're planning on getting a few chickens. Most of the stuff I see is talking about how one breed or another is a great layer for two years and then you kill it, and...we don't plan on doing that. I'd rather have a breed that laid eggs reliably for most of its life, even if it didn't lay as many. I'd also like friendly/calm birds.

What do you suggest?

Master S.M.C :

Must people keep Cochins and Brahmas as pets, more so Cochins.

Yes, Cochins and Brahmas are proven breeds as pets.
Cochins have heavy feathered legs, they need to be kept dry and clean. Brahmas have much less feathered legs.

Some people like Silkies as pets, but Silkies come only in bantam form, while Cochins and Brahmas are available as Standarts and Bantams.

If you want chicken strictly for pets, Bantam breeds are better choice, due to their smaller size and personality I believe.

You would probably have a better choice for pets of many bantam breeds, however not just any bantam is suitable for a pet.​

Salmon Faverolles are wonderful calm and friendly birds and are good winter layers. They are not exceptionally large like a Brahma or Orpington. They also are not obsessive about being broody. Mine have gone broody but it is not the norm in the ones I have had. The nice thing about Faverolles is that the males and females have entirely different color and feathering. My bantams lay medium size cream colored eggs.
image025.jpg

This is Amber the little hen
image015.jpg

This is Black Beard my rooster

It really is preferance. Some chickens are more flighty than others. Like my barred rocks. I do love the Brahmas. They tend to be docile. Silkies are great (and cute). They are also docile and do not fly as some breeds do. (neither do Brahmas) They tend to be bottom heavy. hehehe My children love the silkies because they are small and dont mind being picked up. All the breeds mentioned above are good. I would look at pics of all the breeds mentioned and see what you think is best for your area. Good luck and Have FUN!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom