Best breed for a pet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by icemew, Feb 1, 2009.

1. icemew

icemew New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi, I've been trying to find information about different breeds, but a lot of the information tends to be geared toward more professional criteria.

We're planning on getting a few chickens. Most of the stuff I see is talking about how one breed or another is a great layer for two years and then you kill it, and...we don't plan on doing that. I'd rather have a breed that laid eggs reliably for most of its life, even if it didn't lay as many. I'd also like friendly/calm birds.

What do you suggest?

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Cochin's are good layers and sweet Chickens also...Make great pets.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Must people keep Cochins and Brahmas as pets, more so Cochins.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Master S.M.C :

Must people keep Cochins and Brahmas as pets, more so Cochins.

Yes, Cochins and Brahmas are proven breeds as pets.
    Cochins have heavy feathered legs, they need to be kept dry and clean. Brahmas have much less feathered legs.

Some people like Silkies as pets, but Silkies come only in bantam form, while Cochins and Brahmas are available as Standarts and Bantams.

If you want chicken strictly for pets, Bantam breeds are better choice, due to their smaller size and personality I believe.

You would probably have a better choice for pets of many bantam breeds, however not just any bantam is suitable for a pet.​

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I love my true ameraucana, always wanting to be carried and cuddled.....

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    orpingtons... I have a 7 y/old hen here that still lays.. and gone broody as well...

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Salmon Faverolles are wonderful calm and friendly birds and are good winter layers. They are not exceptionally large like a Brahma or Orpington. They also are not obsessive about being broody. Mine have gone broody but it is not the norm in the ones I have had. The nice thing about Faverolles is that the males and females have entirely different color and feathering. My bantams lay medium size cream colored eggs.
    [​IMG]
    This is Amber the little hen
    [​IMG]
    This is Black Beard my rooster

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:How true,,,,,,and they are already dressed up to go to the ball! [​IMG]

9. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    It really is preferance. Some chickens are more flighty than others. Like my barred rocks. I do love the Brahmas. They tend to be docile. Silkies are great (and cute). They are also docile and do not fly as some breeds do. (neither do Brahmas) They tend to be bottom heavy. hehehe My children love the silkies because they are small and dont mind being picked up. All the breeds mentioned above are good. I would look at pics of all the breeds mentioned and see what you think is best for your area. Good luck and Have FUN! [​IMG]

10. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Silkie all the way!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by