Best breed for blue eggs

Timothy Menezes

Songster
6 Years
Nov 27, 2017
Monterey, California
So I've been reading reviews from various hatcheries on their blue egg laying varieties. The reviews are spotty at best on all of them. I have had a few Americanas and they laid slightly green tinted eggs. I'm wanting blue, and hopefully more blue than my slightly tinted greens. Anyone have some experience in going down this road ahead of me? Please and thank you! :wee

Cream Legbars was definitely in the running. A few reviews said they were great, but quite a few others were not. So that's why I am looking to you all for some experience. Also Whiting True Blue was in the running to. But some reviews were saying their birds were laying poorly and when they did they were getting banty size eggs.

Hoping someone that has tried a few of these breeds can save me the trouble of having to try them all to find what I'm looking for.

I have Whiting True Blues. 😊 The birds themselves come in many different colors I have a black one, a white speckled one (splash) and a grey one (blue). The are very good layers of huge light blue tinted eggs. The blue is light. I 've heard they are a Leghorn cross which would explain the almost every day eggs. Our white one is crazy flighty but the other 2 are pretty calm.

So I've been reading reviews from various hatcheries
The reviews are spotty at best on all of them.

A few reviews said they were great, but quite a few others were not.
I hope you don't find this rude, but the reviews are spotty at best because you are looking at hatcheries, and not through breeders. A hatchery cares about hatching and cranking the chicks out. They don't pay attention if the Legbars are awesome, but a breeder sure does. Even the average backyard poultry person can maintain a decent blue egg line.

I too would suggest the Cream Legbar, or if you want something a bit more rare, check out Arucana (not hatchery, but breeder quality). I've got 2 Arucana girls that lay daily and have a nice "dark" blue (well saturated baby blue). I do have an Easter Egger who does happen to be hatchery quality, and lays a nice blue egg, no green tint. It's not that you can't get a decent layer from a hatchery (all my ducks are hatchery quality and lay like crazy) but it's a bit of a lottery. Whereas a breeder will have a much higher rate of sucsess hatching high quality birds.

I don't know if she has any available, but @WVduckchick raises Cream Legbar, and her eggs are a beautiful blue.

So I've been reading reviews from various hatcheries on their blue egg laying varieties. The reviews are spotty at best on all of them. I have had a few Amjoericanas and they laid slightly green tinted eggs. I'm wanting blue, and hopefully more blue than my slightly tinted greens. Anyone have some experience in going down this road ahead of me? Please and thank you! :wee
Whiting True Blues! Very friendly, ACTUAL breed, and breed true for blue! Come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you get a beautifully colored flock! Robin egg colored blue!

If you really want to know what your getting or give yourself a better chance of receiving the characteristicts your after then you probably need to look towards an actual breeder. Even then they should be able to show egg color, pics of parent stock, prove who & where their lines came from. I've seen people try to pass hatching eggs as ameraucanas and they aren't all blue. Ask for pics of parents and get a pic of a barnyard mix of birds. Easter eggers. Ask questions.
Hatchery birds are a representation of the breed. Like I'm not full Italian but enough people can see it.
Good luck.

Cream Legbars can sometimes lay a greenish tinted egg, it depends on the line they originate from. I have one hen that lays a slightly greenish (light olive-ish) tint, as I see it. The Cream Legbar standards allow for it, I believe.
True Ameraucana (not Easter/Olive Eggers sold as Ams, as mentioned above) should lay true blue eggs also. Look up the ways to identify true Ams. First, they should be identified by a specific color. Blue Ameraucana, Black Ameraucana, etc.

I bred one of my Black Copper Marans hens with my Cream Legbar rooster and kept a couple Olive Eggers.

The blue can also vary in shade/depth of color, depending on the lay cycle, just as the BCMs do.
These are from is my BCM, CL, and an Olive egg from their offspring.
F8275962-1F0D-46C6-84AA-0C4C43002151.jpeg

Some of my CLs (some of which carry some Crele genes). I just like the beauty of the birds, so I haven’t tried to breed directly to standards yet. I prefer the lighter creamy color on the hens breast, but I think the standard leans toward the darker. I can’t remember for sure.
418B14B0-96F4-4B2A-B345-62C08B89F87A.jpeg
CBB18D96-8F28-472A-BBC3-C823E925DBEC.jpeg
F686B413-015A-4122-ACCE-6267364AB313.jpeg

106F0480-17DF-48A1-A8D4-8B43B184BF92.jpeg

F686B413-015A-4122-ACCE-6267364AB313.jpeg

C843010A-2E16-4C8B-AE5B-B12AF9202A21.jpeg
11296C7D-75C1-48BB-84EC-9E5204BA807B.jpeg

This is the Olive Egger offspring, since her egg is in the pic above. :D
I do have hatching eggs available if you want, send me a private conversation.
4C00690C-0184-4ED2-AEC7-B9E69678B0DF.jpeg

Good luck with your decision and your search!

Back
Top Bottom