Best Breed for Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nightingale7, Aug 4, 2011.

1. nightingale7

nightingale7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    North Carolina
    Which breed of chicken is best for egg laying if you plan on eating the eggs? Thanks!!!

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    THE BEST laying breed is the White Leghorn. You'll get the most eggs for the feed they eat. However, they lay white eggs, so if you're wanting "farm fresh brown eggs" you'll have to pick a different breed.

For brown eggs, the best layers are Rhode Island Reds, Production Reds, Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Gold Sexlinks, Red Stars, ISA Brown, etc), Barred Rocks, and Black Australorps.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get Pearl White Leghorns and Black Sex links.

I had a black sex link that didn't miss laying an egg every day for over 90 days.

4. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree my leghorns lay far mor eggs than any of my other breeds. When I sell eggs people always want brown eggs so I sell those and keep the white eggs for myself. I can't taste any difference.[​IMG]

5. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    White Leghorns or Black sexlinks

6. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Golden Buffs are supposed to lay 5 a week.

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Oh yes, forgot the Black Sexlink (aka Black Star). Those definitely belong on my list too. [​IMG]

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    red sexlink are slightly more productive than black so i would go with red sexlinks or production reds.

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you can get golden comets...you will have lots of beautiful BIG brown eggs.

Chix are supposed to do well at 6 eggs/wk. Try 7 eggs per week every week since Easter!

It's like she considers it her job. She works to find her own food. GCs weigh in at about 4.5 pounds for a mature hen. Your feed to eggs conversion ration is advantageous.

Eggs I get from mine are always over 2-ounces -- One was 2.75. (if you go to the 'charts & quotes' page on my BYC Page section there is an egg size chart for ez reference. )

Good luck with your search.

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Black Australorp hybrids (x'd with ISA brown) lay on average 6 - 7 eggs per week each. I have one who slowed down a little lately, but it's winter here and she's getting picked on a bit by the alpha chook, so I assume that's why.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by