Best Breed of Chicken for my Daughter to show at fair??

Wow guys. Not every bird is going to be someones cup of tea. No need to insult any type of bird.

My daughters do 4H. My middle daughter who is 8, is showing a smooth sizzle (silkie cross) and still struggles with a bantam bird like that. I've actually been looking at getting her either a Modern game or an Old English Bantam. They show well, they look clean, and judges like them. The kids who have Modern Game do VERY well in showmanship. The birds are just flashy and want to show off. Old English Bantams are roughly the same size, only without the long legs. IMO, the Moderns show better for the juniors.

Our kids have shown for chickens in 4 H for years.

One likes to show standard cochins in showmanship even though I think they weigh more than him, just because he loves them. We have found that our Belgian Bearded D anvers did the best though. We have had our kids win with a silkie too....she happened to walk so good at the time, but silkies typically don't want to walk, they like to sit and be held.

The judges like to see clean legged birds because the leg and foot feathers typically are damaged and the fluffier birds are just harder for the kids to part the feathers to show the vent or the axle feather and the earlobes and ears are harder to see too. Also the smaller birds are easier to hold for longer when the judging takes a little while.

That being said tho, ask the kids what they like the best. Our kids were so much more passionate about the silkie and standard cochin because they were truly pets and that comes through as the judge talks to the kids. The more the kids know about the chicken the higher they will score. The more it's a pet, the more they will know.

I agree completely. My daughters wanted the silkies, so we went with silkies, but I am wishing we got a smaller, clean legged bird as well. The silkies are awesome..but much harder to handle. Getting a silkie to move across the table is tough work! The kids that have the modern games or old english seem to get less frustrated.

My daughter told me she wants to try a Rouen duck next year. I laughed because she can barely handle her tiny sizzle.

I'm glad you find joy in your moderns but to me they look like ugly dinosaurs!
sickbyc.gif
lau.gif
We all have our preferences. I think my little Modern hens are the cutest things ever (except right now because the rooster has picked the feathers off their necks and they look like Naked Neck/ Modern crosses. Poor things!) I like d'Uccles, too, though. They're very cute.

Hmmm, I do not want to insult, but WOW! I laughed when I saw the posts back there!

Do not use a metal shiny show-stick for Modern Games (use a chopstick if you daughter does showmanship) the Moderns will sometimes stop, see the "yummy" shiny "beetle" and peck at it between their legs. It's actually a funny sight, but if your chicken doesn't continue walking, some points are taking off.

But no matter what breed, use a rooster for showmanship, they like to strut off their stuff to the nearby hens. I did poultry showmanship many MANY times with a hen, but as walking, she usually thought about flying away. (Of course I never let her do that.)

My sister used a Belgian Bearded D'anver cock (another one I recommend greatly) for 6 years when she did showmanship, he always stamped his feet like a turkey (even though I think he was less than a pound) but he enjoyed walking across the table.

D' Anvers would be a great bird to use also.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
At our shows in this area, the judges don't do the "walking" part of the competition. I would actually like to see it done, though.

D'anvers would be a great breed. I have a pair. I get such a kick out of the little rooster strutting his stuff and my hen is as tame as a kitty.

At our shows in this area, the judges don't do the "walking" part of the competition. I would actually like to see it done, though.

D'anvers would be a great breed. I have a pair. I get such a kick out of the little rooster strutting his stuff and my hen is as tame as a kitty.

Weird...I wonder why. Try getting a silkie to move across the table.
he.gif
It is a bit funny to watch though. And I agree with the shiny stick comment with the modern games...whoever said that is correct. They want to nibble at it because it looks tasty tasty.
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for your input. I already have 2 RIR chicks, one Easter Egger and one Barred Rock. I know she cannot show the Easter Egger. I was thinking of getting a Silver laced Wyandotte. Can you keep bantams with standards together? All of these chickens are supposed to be docile. What do you thin
roll.png
k?

Thanks so much for your input. I already have 2 RIR chicks, one Easter Egger and one Barred Rock. I know she cannot show the Easter Egger. I was thinking of getting a Silver laced Wyandotte. Can you keep bantams with standards together? All of these chickens are supposed to be docile. What do you thin
roll.png
k?

Depending upon the bird(s) it should be fine. I know quite a few people who keep many different breeds/species together successfully. Silver Laced Wyandottes are usually Large fowl and not bantams, although I think there is a bantam version available. I agree with the advice given above....if your daughter is interested in them, then go for it. Her interest in the bird she is showing will come through in her showmanship.

roll.png
k?

Also adding in, depending upon what she is doing, she *could* she the EE. In showmanship, breed doesn't really matter as they aren't judging the breed to the standard. If she wants to enter the bird in the exhibition portion, she will, of course, not be able to show the EE. My friend's daughter uses a Modern Game in showmanship but enters him, along with 2 silkies in the exhibition portion.

Back
Top Bottom