Best bunny breeds

Hello! I've had a few bunnies and might be able to add some hopefully helpful insight.

I have a Lion head; he's been with me for nearly ten years now. I love him but he's a big grouch, nippy at times, not very snuggly. I can't say that's the typical attitude of lion heads, but I have heard similar stories about other lion heads, so it's one thing to consider. Lion (very creative name, I know--but to be fair I was ten when I named him lol!) can actually be pretty sweet, especially as I've known him for so long, but he definitely doesn't always like to be held/snuggled.

I had a mini rex, too, who was the sweetest thing. He loved to chill with you and snuggle. I think they're usually a pretty sweet breed, but I honestly don't know much about them. I know Peanut, my mini rex, was just so sweet and friendly.

I also had a harlequin, who I just recently lost. I loved her so much, she was such a shy, sweet thing. Very snuggly and loving. I did some research on the breed actually because I was curious and apparently their traits are known to be sweet, friendly, and can be a good family pet. I know my Pumpkin liked to be held, was sweet and funny, and honestly fit the descriptions I saw online of typical harlequin behavior.

But what I like to say about rabbits, is that each rabbit is an individual and unique, so it may not fit the breed standards or match up like you may expect 100% of the time. Some rabbits might be different and all have their own personalities. Definitely look for a good breed that will suite you, but also make sure the exact bunny you get fits you too! :)

Good luck with your search and hope I was a help!
harliquin rabbits are one of my favorite breeds! Do you know how long they live?

I have a fuzzy Holland lop, and I must say the fur is a lot of maintenance. If you are looking for soft but don’t want to deal with brushing daily, I’d steer clear of the fuzzy lop and aim more for the soft plush Rex.
Bunnies as a species don’t always love being snuggled. They are all individuals: for example, my fuzzy Holland lop is tolerant of handling more than my harlequin mix. Enjoying them where they are at (usually hanging out on the floor with them) can be a great way to interact.
Just some things I’ve learned. Good luck!
View attachment 2975173
it is sooooo cute! I wouldn't mind brushing a rabbit ever day! I was looking into breeds like angoras!!

harliquin rabbits are one of my favorite breeds! Do you know how long they live?
Even after having only one, I am pretty sold on the breed lol! If I ever get another rabbit I am definitely going to get a harlie again. I loved my girl.

I'm pretty certain they have an average life-span of a rabbit, anywhere from 5-10 years if not older. A lot of google searches may say 5-8/9 years (I just looked one up myself), but if you take good care of your rabbit and especially if it's just a pet I imagine it can live far past that, barring any health emergencies/issues. However, age is also determined by individual rabbits and any health problems that can happen, as I'm sure you know.

My harlie lived to be about 6-7 yo (I didn't know her exact age as she was a rescue), but only because she died of stasis. She was very healthy and rarely ever got sick and didn't have any health problems so she probably would have lived a lot longer had she not had a very sudden and bad case of stasis sadly.
On the other hand, my lionhead rabbit is practically invincible lol. He's 11-12yo now, survived two ear infections, and is still going strong.

There are many factors and things in owning rabbits and really any animals that have averages, but largely are determined by each individual case/animal. That's what I believe, anyways.

Even after having only one, I am pretty sold on the breed lol! If I ever get another rabbit I am definitely going to get a harlie again. I loved my girl.

I'm pretty certain they have an average life-span of a rabbit, anywhere from 5-10 years if not older. A lot of google searches may say 5-8/9 years (I just looked one up myself), but if you take good care of your rabbit and especially if it's just a pet I imagine it can live far past that, barring any health emergencies/issues. However, age is also determined by individual rabbits and any health problems that can happen, as I'm sure you know.

My harlie lived to be about 6-7 yo (I didn't know her exact age as she was a rescue), but only because she died of stasis. She was very healthy and rarely ever got sick and didn't have any health problems so she probably would have lived a lot longer had she not had a very sudden and bad case of stasis sadly.
On the other hand, my lionhead rabbit is practically invincible lol. He's 11-12yo now, survived two ear infections, and is still going strong.

There are many factors and things in owning rabbits and really any animals that have averages, but largely are determined by each individual case/animal. That's what I believe, anyways.
I think I'm going to get a harlequin! I've heard boy rabbits are a little friendlier, do you know if that is true?

The cuddliness of the breeds mentioned are all pretty similar IMO. It will come down to the individual bun and if they're intact. Rex, Harlequin, and Hollands are all very calm and non nippy in comparison to netherland dwarfs, for example. I breed hollands because of these qualities and their high price as show buns. Mine go for $80-120. Nice litters and fun nest box colors to keep the excitement. A fuzzy holland lop is kind of the blooper reel of the holland world. Some are bred specifically as american fuzzy lops, but most are genetic accidents that can't be shown as a normal holland. They're cute little fluff balls, but you have to brush until the cows come home! Love that you're doing your research!
IMG_1714.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg

I think I'm going to get a harlequin! I've heard boy rabbits are a little friendlier, do you know if that is true?
It tends to be true, yes. But, sometimes around maturity boys will get nippy/fussy. You can behaviorally work with some to lessen this, but some will need to be fixed. It also doesn't mean that there aren't lots of does who are super sweet! If you aren't going to get it fixed and you're going to keep it in the house, I would "go doe". Nobody wants to deal with a boy's spray in the house :sick

The cuddliness of the breeds mentioned are all pretty similar IMO. It will come down to the individual bun and if they're intact. Rex, Harlequin, and Hollands are all very calm and non nippy in comparison to netherland dwarfs, for example. I breed hollands because of these qualities and their high price as show buns. Mine go for $80-120. Nice litters and fun nest box colors to keep the excitement. A fuzzy holland lop is kind of the blooper reel of the holland world. Some are bred specifically as american fuzzy lops, but most are genetic accidents that can't be shown as a normal holland. They're cute little fluff balls, but you have to brush until the cows come home! Love that you're doing your research!View attachment 2975816View attachment 2975818
The baby bunnies are so cute! What breeds are they? The orange and white are soooo cute!

Back
Top Bottom