Best cheapest quail egg layer food

https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/8#45 Breeding = Laying Quail
Notice the protein and calcium percentages.
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 9.50.20 AM.png

Interesting chart, these notations are just below it on the website that provided it.

“In the instance of protein, however, Steigner (1990) reported that a strain of Japanese quail selected for rapid growth required a greater dietary protein concentration than did random-bred quail.“

Could be why my buddies birds thrive on his retardedly high protien diet. Wanna say it was in the 27 to 30% range! It’s Purina Gambird/Turkey Startena

Last edited:
Interesting chart, these notations are just below it on the website that provided it.

“In the instance of protein, however, Steigner (1990) reported that a strain of Japanese quail selected for rapid growth required a greater dietary protein concentration than did random-bred quail.“

Could be why my buddies birds thrive on his retardedly high protien diet. Wanna say it was in the 27 to 30% range! It’s Purina Gambird/Turkey Startena
I feed my growing quail a game bird feed with a protein of 28%.
My point of posting the link to the book is to show that protein amounts can be lowered for fully grown birds, laying quail.
It is not necessary to continue to feed them a higher protein diet once they reach full size.

Last edited:
Oh I totally agree! I was about to order Quail myself and had planned on starting with the Purina game bird Startena I mentioned earlier. But was having a hard time finding a higher protein feed that had calcium for when they hit laying age.

Purina has a gamebird layer with 20% protein and 3% calcium that I was considering. Think that’s enough protien for laying Quail? My thought is laying Quail ideally should be more like 24% for higher performance strains.

I was thinking I could mix in some starter or kitty kibbles. Maybe offer oyster shells on the side.

Oh I totally agree! I was about to order Quail myself and had planned on starting with the Purina game bird Startena I mentioned earlier. But was having a hard time finding a higher protein feed that had calcium for when they hit laying age.

Purina has a gamebird layer with 20% protein and 3% calcium that I was considering. Think that’s enough protien for laying Quail?

If not I was thinking I could mix in some starter or kitty kibbles. Maybe offer oyster shells on the side.
To be honest I haven't yet decided what I am going to do once mine start laying, which should be any day now.
I have a friend who feeds her laying quail regular old chicken layer feed and has no problems.

I have heard that too. But my buddy said when he did that they lost size, especially in the generations that followed. I’m probably stressing over nothing terribly important but I like to feed my animals the best.

Always annoys the begezzus out of me when I research the dickens out of what’s best for my pet, lets say my dog in this case, spend good money for the best, then go outside and see my dog eating a pile of crap lol

The link no to my sheet is attached n my signature below..."feed comparison..."
Yes I read where someone posted that the other day. Looks good, just Haven’t seen it out here in California though :-(
Have you browsed the game bird tab of my Google sheet yet? There are direct links to the manufacturers linked to each product.

Back
Top Bottom