Best cheapest quail egg layer food

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
My local Farm and Fleet does not have large bags of game bird food, so I've decided to buy online. What's the cheapest food for adult layers that will fit their needs? Thank you!

I feed Manna Pro, that 26% protein. Laying quail will be okay on 22% feed. Maybe you can find a meat bird or all flock type feed. Any time I've looked at online prices they are very high plus shipping costs. If you want to increase the protein you can always supplement with high protein treats, like mealworms or fish.

Eggs are a good source of vitamins and minerals but not that high in protein (I've made the same mix-up in the past). If you go by average values, a chicken egg is only about 12% protein; quail egg is about 13%. Tuna canned in oil is about 29% and tuna canned in water is about 24%. Mealworms are about 50% but they are also around 28% fat so you don't want to go too crazy with those.

I've also read of others feeding sprouted grains, but I don't know the level for those. I'm sure it depends on what seed you use. Some folks also give dry cat food. You might have to grind it up a bit.

Did you find something that worked for you? I have a friend that just uses gamebird/turkey starter their whole lives. When they get to laying age he supplies oyster shells in their box of sand. I imagine there’s better options but he swears by high protein for quail. I thought this wasn’t going to work, but his birds are huge, healthy, and lay lots of thick shelled eggs so I can’t argue with his results.

Interesting chart, these notations are just below it on the website that provided it.

“In the instance of protein, however, Steigner (1990) reported that a strain of Japanese quail selected for rapid growth required a greater dietary protein concentration than did random-bred quail.“

Could be why my buddies birds thrive on his retardedly high protien diet. Wanna say it was in the 27 to 30% range! It’s Purina Gambird/Turkey Startena

Last edited:
Interesting chart, these notations are just below it on the website that provided it.

“In the instance of protein, however, Steigner (1990) reported that a strain of Japanese quail selected for rapid growth required a greater dietary protein concentration than did random-bred quail.“

Could be why my buddies birds thrive on his retardedly high protien diet. Wanna say it was in the 27 to 30% range! It’s Purina Gambird/Turkey Startena
I feed my growing quail a game bird feed with a protein of 28%.
My point of posting the link to the book is to show that protein amounts can be lowered for fully grown birds, laying quail.
It is not necessary to continue to feed them a higher protein diet once they reach full size.

Last edited:
I feed my adult layers a locally milled feed that is 21% protein and they do fine on it. I give them the high protein grower for the first couple of months only. So, something to keep in mind as you search is that the protein doesn't need to be as high if they are adult layers.

Eggs are a good source of vitamins and minerals but not that high in protein (I've made the same mix-up in the past). If you go by average values, a chicken egg is only about 12% protein; quail egg is about 13%. Tuna canned in oil is about 29% and tuna canned in water is about 24%. Mealworms are about 50% but they are also around 28% fat so you don't want to go too crazy with those.

That is super helpful thank you!

Back
Top Bottom