Best chicken breeds

Pics
Yes I totally agree!, Ive had lots of different kinds and the best are usually the ones that are handled regularly from day olds. Although some "wild" type breeds like the Lavender Arucanas are way more flighty than a lot of other heavy dual purpose birds.
There are a few breeds that are more flighty and don't like to be handled but there are always exceptions.

I have several colors each of the following:
brahma bantams:tame
cochin bantams, extremely tame and friendly my vote is for cochins!
silkie bantams, pretty tame
old engliah game bantams: flighty somewhat
Had some duccles: tame
Buff orpingtons: tame, even the roo is mild and friendly!
Easter eggers: somewhat tame but they dont tolerate being held like the brahmas cohins silkies and duccles bantams will.
My most tame are the cochins. I dont spend alot of time with them but the cochins are practically tame for no reason! they do only lay 4 or 5 times a week, the brahmas lay 6 times a week and are almost as tame but the cochins are so cuddly... the silkies only lay 4 times a week too.
Like others have said if yoy can spend time with them yoy can tame most any breed, but if you can only spend around 20 minutes a day cuddling rhem like me, then the brahmas cochins and silkies and orpingtons are the best bet in my opinion. Heres some proof of how tame silkies are and how wonderfly fluffy cochins are
Screenshot_2019-03-10-05-20-51.png
silkie babes
Screenshot_2019-03-10-05-15-37.png

The light silkie is even a roo!
Screenshot_2019-03-10-05-16-30.png
Screenshot_2019-03-10-05-16-54.png

I'm convinced it's the chicken not the breed. In my checkered career I've had, perhaps, 20 breeds of birds plus some hybrids. While I don't keep them for pets I do have some individual birds that become attached to me and others that run a soon as they see me. The meanest bird I've ever owned was a barred rock rooster that attacked everything. One of the nicest was a barred rock hen that every time she saw me ran up to me, let me pick her up and carry her around while she clucked in my ear. I'd say if you want nice birds for pets it probably depends on how you treat them as chicks.

I'm convinced it's the chicken not the breed. In my checkered career I've had, perhaps, 20 breeds of birds plus some hybrids. While I don't keep them for pets I do have some individual birds that become attached to me and others that run a soon as they see me. The meanest bird I've ever owned was a barred rock rooster that attacked everything. One of the nicest was a barred rock hen that every time she saw me ran up to me, let me pick her up and carry her around while she clucked in my ear. I'd say if you want nice birds for pets it probably depends on how you treat them as chicks.
I agree too, but not so much on "how you treat them as chicks". I bought some Delaware hens from a guy who was selling his land. These chickens had no housing, no roosts and were given no food from the time they were chicks. I used to visit and interacted with them in their old living situation. Living with a coop, a roost (they love to roost even more than my other chickens) and regular food, let alone treats they are in chicken heaven! Sort of like the rescue dogs that love the new master! They were very independent at their old home, very unfriendly, but here they run after me and eat out of my hand and are very different. They have integrated into my flock very nicely too. I just love chickens! Sneaker, the most curious and sneeky one is my avatar!

Back
Top Bottom