Best chicken breeds

The sweetest I've ever had or encountered have been Mille Fleur D'Uccles. That variety specifically.

I've had some I got as adults that were tamer than a sleeping puppy. The chicks were always chill. Even those birds belonging to others whom were never held were really sweet.

So as far as a default friendly breed goes, D'Uccles take a slice of the cake.

I have a mixed flock. Some are flighty, some will walk up to where I am sitting and peck my shoe and wait for me to pick them up, and then the are a couple of them that don't wait, they just jump up on my lap and demand attention...both of those are Rocks
The barred is Georgie and the Silver Penciled is Tilly

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock. Some are flighty, some will walk up to where I am sitting and peck my shoe and wait for me to pick them up, and then the are a couple of them that don't wait, they just jump up on my lap and demand attention...both of those are Rocks
The barred is Georgie and the Silver Penciled is Tilly
Thank you

Silver penciled! :love .I had some once. Mine were big birds!
That picture at the top of post was taken 2 weeks ago, she is still a juvenile. She is 8 months now. When I saw this feather pattern I loved it. She is going to be part of my project...crossing her with a SL Black Orp. And will be doing same with Barred. The barreds will be first as they are the more mature girls. Tilly won't be in the breeding pen for another 6-7 months.

That picture at the top of post was taken 2 weeks ago, she is still a juvenile. She is 8 months now. When I saw this feather pattern I loved it. She is going to be part of my project...crossing her with a SL Black Orp. And will be doing same with Barred. The barreds will be first as they are the more mature girls. Tilly won't be in the breeding pen for another 6-7 months.
Thanks!:bun:D

:welcome :frow My opinion, for Best chicken breeds is going to be different for everyone, so my suggestion is what would you like? Most chicken behavior also depends on how they are raised. The best way to a chickens heart is through it's stomach.

Yes I totally agree!, Ive had lots of different kinds and the best are usually the ones that are handled regularly from day olds. Although some "wild" type breeds like the Lavender Arucanas are way more flighty than a lot of other heavy dual purpose birds.

Columbian rocks! Mine are so friendly and sweet, they love to sit on my lap and snuggle. The roosters are aggressive though; mine I've learned to handle but I don't fully trust him.

Back
Top Bottom