Best chicken feeder and waterer????

Thank-you for asking this. I have the same problem but with my duck food. I may purchase one of these feeders, but I may have to remove the screen to fit larger beaks. I fear that my ducks will freak out when the cover moves. I went from a bag of food every 6 months to one every two months because of the sparrows. Their population seems to have inflated because of all the food they have available now.
Oh... My ducks are bantam. Will 1.5-2 lbs be enough weight to open the feeder?

Last edited:
I currently have an open dish for food, and a bowl for water but I would like to upgrade. and needed some new ideas for a feeder and a waterer for about 30 chickens I also have a HUGE sparrow problem :barnie(those darn things I can't seem to get rid of them )

What is your favorite feeder/waterer?
And ANY ideas and photos would be great!

Thanks 😊
A 5 gallon bucket with 4 head size holes about chicken chest high. 1 hole front, 1 back, 1left and 1 right. First feed and the same for water. . See pinterest for ideas:)))

Thank-you for asking this. I have the same problem but with my duck food. I may purchase one of these feeders, but I may have to remove the screen to fit larger beaks. I fear that my ducks will freak out when the cover moves. I went from a bag of food every 6 months to one every two months because of the sparrows. Their population seems to have inflated because of all the food they have available now.
Oh... My ducks are bantam. Will 1.5-2 lbs be enough weight to open the feeder?
14 oz weight for the standard and 2 pounds for the large size.

https://www.grandpasfeeders.com/faqs/

14 oz weight for the standard and 2 pounds for the large size.

https://www.grandpasfeeders.com/faqs/
Thank-you. Reading is fundamental. :confused: "Adjustable from 1.5 pounds of pressure (for bantams) and 3 pounds of pressure (for full-grown full-sized hens) by removing a weight under the lid" And I bet if I needed to, I'd be able to add more weight.

I currently have an open dish for food, and a bowl for water but I would like to upgrade. and needed some new ideas for a feeder and a waterer for about 30 chickens I also have a HUGE sparrow problem :barnie(those darn things I can't seem to get rid of them )

What is your favorite feeder/waterer?
And ANY ideas and photos would be great!

Thanks 😊
For your sparrow problem get a sparrow trap. They work great and you can get rid of a lot of them pretty quickly

I have several feeders because of my decent sized (30- 40+) and varied age flock. I also have sparrow, dove and rice bird problems.
20211110_064411~2.jpg
20211101_133924.jpg
20211123_155820~2.jpg
55125.jpeg
20210327_171412~2.jpg

The little gallon distilled water bottles (for incubator) were my prototypes for my 5 gal water bottle. All still in heavy use after years and costing about $5 ea. I was gifted a grandpa's. Did not think I would like but I love it! Flock caught on to it quickly.. I don't have gravity problems with my crumble feed. I also have a
20211211_123821.jpg
20211211_123804.jpg

This being my least favorite but it works well. My feed bill was cut in half with the homemades. I suggest Henry's roofing caulk instead of silicone. Other than that they are all awesome.
For waters I only use the green as I am in a warm weather place, prone to algea and nothing holds up like the green to my heavy use- sun, scrub, bleach, repeat-

I have several feeders because of my decent sized (30- 40+) and varied age flock. I also have sparrow, dove and rice bird problems.View attachment 2926070View attachment 2926072View attachment 2926073View attachment 2926081View attachment 2926082
The little gallon distilled water bottles (for incubator) were my prototypes for my 5 gal water bottle. All still in heavy use after years and costing about $5 ea. I was gifted a grandpa's. Did not think I would like but I love it! Flock caught on to it quickly.. I don't have gravity problems with my crumble feed. I also have aView attachment 2926096View attachment 2926097
This being my least favorite but it works well. My feed bill was cut in half with the homemades. I suggest Henry's roofing caulk instead of silicone. Other than that they are all awesome.
For waters I only use the green as I am in a warm weather place, prone to algea and nothing holds up like the green to my heavy use- sun, scrub, bleach, repeat-
Which one of these feeders works the best for keeping the sparrows out?

Back
Top Bottom