Best Chicken Litter/Bedding for coop house?

nicosturla

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
I currently have pine shavings on the floor of my coop house. They go everywhere outside of the house and get soggy on the ground. I’ve seen all mixed recommendations for what the best litter/bedding is (sand, wood chips, straw, etc.) Which is the best?

I use pine shavings in my coop with PDZ on the poop boards. I tried straw but it gets everywhere. It really depends on your setup. I also have a pop door on the bottom on the coop and a little ledge to help keep the bedding from falling out of it. Maybe straw would work better in your situation. I know a lot of people use sand but I have no experience with that because it wouldn't be practical for my setup

They go everywhere outside of the house and get soggy on the ground.
Please post some pics of your coop.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @nicosturla
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1656938662892.png

Hello & Welcome to BYC! So happy you joined.

*I'm also interested in hearing the response.

Poop Boards is a GAME CHANGER! After 20years at this I installed them last week and it's embarrassing how happy I am!! No more poop on the floor, my floor is painted wood with a tile walkway to nest boxes for easy sweeping out any poo that happens which is so minimal. No more smell! With a kitty litter rake, I just sift poo of sand and into a bucket every morning, takes 4 minutes. WHY didn't I do this sooner. If you can, do poop boards with sand.

Back
Top Bottom