Best Chickens Breeds

Despite having down my research, I still prefer the tried-and-true method of things. Being fairly new to chickens, I was wondering if somebody could recommend some breeds for me.
Your Salmon Favs will talk your ear off. Mine never shut up, and they are loud. I love it now, but had to get used to it. Very tame, but one of mine goes broody at the drop of a hat, kind of irritating.

Your Salmon Favs will talk your ear off. Mine never shut up, and they are loud. I love it now, but had to get used to it. Very tame, but one of mine goes broody at the drop of a hat, kind of irritating.

I wish I knew this before I got mine - I'd seen Favorelles listed on more than one list of "quietest" chickens and thought it would be fun to have one. If we lived somewhere with a lot of space, it wouldn't have been an issue, but with close neighbors, she had to go to a new home...

Just wanted to weigh in here. My cuddliest bird, by far, is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. She loves to be held or sit on my shoulder so she can whisper sweet nothings in my ear (and then poop on my shirt :rolleyes:). If I sit down, she jumps up in my lap. If I bend over, she hops on my back. She's been doing these things since she grew big enough to flutter out of the brooder. She was the same way with some friends of mine when they came over to visit. Not even a little bit skittish.

I have a second GLW and she has recently started asking to be picked up as well. I also have three Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and they aren't nearly as friendly, though one will let me pick her up on occasion. My Gold Laced, though, really are super sweet.

I also have an Easter Egger that will follow me EVERYWHERE if I let her and chatters at me non-stop. She goes back and forth on whether she likes being held or not, I suspect largely because she hates to be still. While not nearly as cuddly, she is super friendly and full of character. Such a fun bird to have around!:love

My girls are about 11-12 weeks old now.

My friend in NZ had a favorite GLW, I unfortunately, went with the SLW.... total aloof DIVAS!! I currently have 3, "2'' week old Barred Rock pullets in the brooder. Looking forward to them growing up. "Duckie" one of the Barred Rock chicks, sat in my daughter's lap and slept while we watched Jurassic World together:love:love

My favorites have been my Buff Orpingtons, EEs, Barred Rock and Black Australorps. I recently rehomed a Salmon Favorelle because she was just too noisy (and constantly making noise) for my urban coop. I don't know if she was an exception, or if Favorelles are noisy birds, but I won't be getting more of them in the future.

Nice list! Buff brahmas and Faverolles are the best, even though it is true they are very noisy. :)
One that has been overlooked but is very similar to one you've chosen are Dominiques, they look nearly identical to barred rocks but they have a rose comb instead of a single comb.
If you get much cold weather they're a good trade, rose combs are not frostbite prone.
Barred rocks came from Dominiques so you'd still be getting some technically. :)

Favorells are VERY noisy. They just like to talk, A LOT. We ended up with a salmon favorell mix (Delilah) and she is the sweetest little thing, but again, will talk to you for hours (we literally have conversations, and she talks back). We also have an Easter Egger mix that is pretty sweet too. Her name is Doorbell, which, if you can’t tell, stands for ding-dong. She’s definitely not the brightest but sweet nonetheless. They both follow me around hoping for a piece of corn to magically fall from my hand. Any time I go “brock brock brock”, they both come running. Then we have our rooster, Mr. Peaches. He’s most likely a red sexlink along with our last hen, Mrs. Peaches. Both are pretty calm, but hate most human interaction. Mr. Peaches is very watchful of the hens and does his *job* very well. I’m honestly happy with what we ended up with, they are all very nice birds in their own way.

We're in the South, but we love our white leghorn and our Rhode Island red - both so sweet and want our attention!! Now that Americana - Raven - is a different story!! She lays blue-green eggs but wants no part of our nor the other chicken's company. She will stay with the others, but at a short distance and is the last to come when called in at evening or for a treat!! Funny little girl!!

I have found that barred rock hens are friendly, but the roosters seem to go after kids. I traded my rooster for a barred rock for this reason. My birds free range and the barred rock was used to a yard and disappeared.
Not mine, he’s scared of my baby chicks!!!

What r u looking for in a chicken?
I want a chicken that will TRY to attack any predator and is not gonna be so scared, he will be chased for 30 minutes before being caught. He is so hard to catch, I can’t even put him up half the time, cause I have no time.

Back
Top Bottom