Best Clandestine Breed for GA, kid friendly and great layers

gossamerga

Hatching
11 Years
May 9, 2008
North Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and will be adding 3 chickens to the backyard sometime in the near future.

As I am in a neighborhood with HOA denying having chickens I need to fly under the cover - pun intended
smile.png

Anyway, our house has a 700 foot plus driveway off the main neighborhood street and we are screened heavily by woods. You can really only see the top part of our house in the dead of winter. We also have a fenced backyard with a 6' privacy fence. As it is we get away with a little more than others in the neighborhood because we are off the main track. Don't tell!

I am looking for information on the best breeds or breed to have that are:

*great layers
*friendly with kids ( have a 6 yr old boy)
*Tend to be a little more quiet.

I am looking to not get busted by the HOA.

Any input is welcomed and appreciated. I look forward to hearing any recommendations!

Thanks!
Beth

Buff Orpingtons and Silkies are your best bet. Silkies are not known for great layers but they are great for kids and they are very quiet.

Wow, this is a tall order:

*great layers
*friendly with kids ( have a 6 yr old boy)
*Tend to be a little more quiet.

That said, I'd avoid the medium breeds including the much ballyhooed EE's and A'caunas, as well as the smaller Euros. They can be iffy when it comes to being mellow.

The best layers are Leghorns or some derivitive. Alas, they are flighty and can be both cranky and squawky. Your best bet is one of the old fashioned "standard," dual purpose birds. This means:

RIR - Rhode Island Red
BR - Barred Rock
WY - Wyandotte, Silver or Gold Laced
ORP - Orpington
Brahma - Black or Tan
Austrolorp - Black, with green sheen

I'd include large breed Silkies in the list, too, as they tend to be docile. Some people like their "mophead" looks, although I dont, and they aren't the champs at egg laying. But they make a good backyard choice. These are all common and not to hard to come by, either. This is a plus when buying chicks.

There is no such thing as dead quiet when it comes to chickens, and each has its own voice. Many love to use them, others don't seem to utter a sound. It should go without saying that cocks are out.

Know, too, that children seem to have an innate ability to trigger chickens into fits, often resulting in attack. IMHO, it is best to keep the Bird and The Small Child apart, but your 6 year old can be taught how to be around them well enough.* *

So you see why I say you've a tall order there. Most people expect chickens to behave a certain way, but it is hit and miss on most counts. Nevertheless, these are your best options. They've each been bred for uncounted generations to be as close to what you are asking for as can be. They aren't frilly or exotic chic, but they'll do the job.
My choice? The most docile egg-layer I've ever had was the Austrolorp. Second choice for you would be the large Silkie.

Good luck on keeping it all mum, however. Neighbors love to be nosy and rat you out at the least provocation....

** Note how I phrased this: "Your 6 year old can be taught how to be around them well enough..."
These are birds - they dont conform well to your way; it's best if you accept theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
lau.gif
Well said, David! My four year old loves her chickens but she is "hard" on them by chasing them to see if they would hurry up and lay an egg or bounce them around. You never can be too sure of four year olds or less than that, since they do not understand the chickens need gentleness, not to be mangled or kicked around like a foot ball or spray them with WD40 that hubby left around (killed two of my pullets!)....jeez, we had to put a padlock in the run and coop to keep daughter OUT. She does not understand if she kick them or play hard with them, she would kill them (doe snot understand death either)\\
barnie.gif

my EEs love to talk & skwak all day.
My buff orps both sing after they lay but other than that they are quiet. My Red Star is probably my least vocal.
My BR sings sometimes, she's pretty quiet.
My black australorp is our top hen so she is always yelling about something.
We had a SLW that dies, she was pretty quiet too.

All of my breeds are good layers & great with kids.

elderoo, sorry to have to correct you here but, brahmas do not come in "black and tan"; they come in light, dark, and buff. If I had to do it all over again, I'd would have ordered only light brahmas. Definitely beautiful, peaceful chickens. My roos are finding their voices though.
tongue.png

You are right. "Black and tan" is my own simplified way of describing Buff, Light and Dark. Essentially the same thing, but sorry to have gotten that bit off. Dont know what I was thinking...
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
HOA .....lol
lau.gif
Reminds me of the movie/dvd "Over the Hedge" HOA president, Gladys Sharp telling people that their grass was 1/4 inch over! I just love this movie, because Ive seen it at least 50 times since Christmas. Grandchildrens fault! Well I had get to the question. Dominiques and Ameraucanas will fit the bill.
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom