Best door size for run?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My hubby is going to make an exit door for the run, so the girls will have a way and have supervised free range time. What is the best size to build?

Thank you.
smile.png

My door is 12 inches high and 10 inches wide. My door size is perfect for breeds about 6 lbs. and lower. In my opinion, a door that's about 15"x12" should accomidate all types of chickens.

Hi, Just curious. Are you talking a door from coop to run? Or a door from run to outside world? Big difference....you post wasn't clear. If door for girls to exit...'bout 12" wide x 16'' tall. If door for you .....3' x height comfortable for all that will be going in and out. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Erik

If the run is tall enough for a person to walk in, I would make the outside door a regular people screen door size. I'm just wondering how a person would keep predators from digging underneath it to get inside? I know people put an apron of hardware cloth around the doors, but don't know about the door to the run from outside?

Quote:
Our door will be raised 12 inches off the ground. I will need to make ramp for them on the outside due to the slope. We are not messing with buried wire. I'm not sure what others do to prevent digging.

Back
Top Bottom