Best Dual Purpose Broody hens?

EOD Daddy

Chirping
Sep 14, 2023
I am wondering what breeds make good setting hens. I know banties will but I want a larger hen who can set more eggs. I am thinking buff orpington or light sussex? Also will buffs from hatcheries set?
Thank you

I had a Buff Orpington that would go broody. She was a real sweatheart. I also had a couple of Black Australorps and they went broody all the time. Both those breeds give nice eggs when not broody.

I had a Buff Orpington that would go broody. She was a real sweatheart. I also had a couple of Black Australorps and they went broody all the time. Both those breeds give nice eggs when not broody.
Gtaus,
Thank you were they hatchery chickens or privately purchased

I am wondering what breeds make good setting hens. I know banties will but I want a larger hen who can set more eggs. I am thinking buff orpington or light sussex? Also will buffs from hatcheries set?
Thank you
My spitzhaubens and pheonixes constantly brood. My ketwas do too, but they're not a common or cheaper breed

Thank you
Have you considered Cornish bantams? Yes, they're a bantam, but they're great layers, a bit broader (but don't let any mini turkey hens set anywhere slippery or in a big area, they can get leg issues), and if you make sure you get a double breasted male, the cockerels should be good for processing

Gtaus,
Thank you were they hatchery chickens or privately purchased

All my chickens were/are hatchery chickens.

Although some breeds are noted more for going broody than others, you can also see a big difference in individual birds within a breed. For example, I bought a California White about 3 years ago. They are noted for great egg production and not going broody. My original California White laid a goose-sized egg every day for about 2 years and never went broody. I bought another California White last year, and she has been terrible for egg production and has gone broody a number of times. When I get eggs from her, they are average sized large to a few extra-large eggs, but she is not consistent in laying. In any event, you would not think they were the same breed as their characteristics are so different.

My Sussex have been good broodies the times I've let them set.
@Sussex19 had a Speckled Sussex hatch a lot of babies recently.
@EOD Daddy all my Sussex, lights, coronation, and speckled have been amazing mums.
My SS does it all herself ( goes off and lays a clutch in the garden somewhere) and is soo good.
The others are more 'domestic' and hatch in the coop instead. They all take foster chicks as well.

Attachments

• 20230919_113058.jpg
    20230919_113058.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230919_113123.jpg
    20230919_113123.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom