Best egg layer?!?

I will say we didn’t buy based on egg production. They’re pets and I like flashy birds… Now I’m interested in different egg colours and feed prices are getting a bit out of control, so I am looking at making hard cuts if production is low. If they can lay enough to buy feed, I’ll let them stay
Yeah feed cost is a thing for sure.

If they prefer Leghorns though as a rule those lay pretty good, and there is a good selection of lines and breed colour types too… if you look around you can find the Standard (large) versions… not my pictures… but here are some ideas besides whites not that whites aren’t beautiful too.
A539D90F-FEF1-4964-9E3D-A59ECC133CAF.jpeg
C8D6ADC1-7853-40DD-B72E-DFD8EBF757D4.jpeg
71CCC34C-4DA1-47ED-B073-11D6C7620B92.jpeg

5CCB6A83-5A5D-42C2-B402-547CFC91E6AF.jpeg
AFE4139A-0B48-460A-8EF5-891A66F3545E.jpeg

AABF94FA-0AB8-425E-8225-B1DCA15993FA.jpeg
648E6A6A-2EBE-4964-AB7B-79BCF1F1BB98.jpeg
A38AAAF8-7A8E-42D3-8021-4B62464D1E74.jpeg
8F01EE64-4259-410F-8467-F9F2BDB4C6CC.jpeg

I mean if the parent breeds/lines of sex linked birds are not feared to be short lived… such as RIW, RIR, Barred Rocks, White Rocks, Leghorns… why are their cross.
Heterosis comes with some negative effects, particularly for chickens. Excessive egg laying "wears out" chickens to the point they do not produce enough eggs to justify feed costs. Even if the parent lines do not show early failure, the hybrid can and often does. This generally does not apply to heritage breeds, but it very much does apply to commercial egg production hybrids.

Regarding feeding corn, it is deficient in Methionine and Lysine. I grow a high methionine corn specifically to feed to my chickens. I have fed pure corn to laying hens for several weeks (until I ran out of corn) with no negative effects on the chickens. The point is that virtually all commercial corn is deficient in necessary proteins, but you can grow your own corn that has what chickens need. Sandhill Preservation carries it listed as "chicken feed" corn.

Heterosis comes with some negative effects, particularly for chickens. Excessive egg laying "wears out" chickens to the point they do not produce enough eggs to justify feed costs. Even if the parent lines do not show early failure, the hybrid can and often does. This generally does not apply to heritage breeds, but it very much does apply to commercial egg production hybrids.

Regarding feeding corn, it is deficient in Methionine and Lysine. I grow a high methionine corn specifically to feed to my chickens. I have fed pure corn to laying hens for several weeks (until I ran out of corn) with no negative effects on the chickens. The point is that virtually all commercial corn is deficient in necessary proteins, but you can grow your own corn that has what chickens need. Sandhill Preservation carries it listed as "chicken feed" corn.
Good to know on the corn issue. I suspect the corn the colonists and native population grew was way more nutritious then many modern varieties as well… just call it a hunch based on how nutrition of every vegetable and fruit has consistently gone down over the years... per government research.

I suspect the corn the colonists and native population grew was way more nutritious then many modern varieties as well… just call it a hunch based on how nutrition of every vegetable and fruit has consistently gone down over the years.
That is a matter for debate. Native strains of corn are all over the map when it comes to protein content. You can find Wapsi Valley corn which runs 10% protein as compared to most commercial corn which is closer to 7%. Unfortunately, none of the native strains have enough methionine to support egg laying chickens. Breeding programs in the 1950's and 1960's identified several genes that increase protein content including the line I got out of ARS-Grin to make the cross for chicken feed. It runs closer to 15% protein and is particularly high in methionine and lysine.

If you read back about how native Americans prepared corn to eat, you will find that they "nixtamalized" it by soaking in water with wood ashes or another source of lye. Nixtamilizing frees up B vitamins as well as making the corn more easily digested. Without it, corn can cause extreme nutrition imbalances.

Back
Top Bottom