Best Egg Layer?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
From your experiences, which of the 3 hens is the best at egg laying:

Delaware, Silver/Golden Laced Wyandotte, OR a Dominique?

Thanks for your responses!!!
smile.png

Curious to see what responses you get! Everybody I know loves their Wyandottes. I have only had a Delaware rooster, but from what I understand they are great dual purpose birds. Get really big. Our roo was huge.

Dominiques will lay about three eggs a week on average in a year.

Delawares and Wyandottes should lay about 4 eggs a week on average in a year. So they should be about the same. Of course there are individual variations.

Are you thinking about getting hens of these three breeds?

Of all my breeds, the Wyandottes have been the champs. However, my recent four additions, Speckled Sussex, are out-performing the Wyandottes, laying every single day. And they're every bit the eye candy the Wyandottes are and way more sociable and cuddly.

Of all my breeds, the Wyandottes have been the champs. However, my recent four additions, Speckled Sussex, are out-performing the Wyandottes, laying every single day. And they're every bit the eye candy the Wyandottes are and way more sociable and cuddly.

Are the Sussex hens younger than your Wyandottes?

Sussex will also lay about 4 eggs a week on average in a year.

Neither lol!!!!
lau.gif
Reds and White leghorns are the best if you ask me. Have 2 Delawares and there eggs are small compared to the reds and leghorn.

Neither lol!!!!
lau.gif
Reds and White leghorns are the best if you ask me. Have 2 Delawares and there eggs are small compared to the reds and leghorn.

The person asked which of these three breeds were the best egg-layers: Delaware, Silver/Golden Laced Wyandotte, OR a Dominique?

Everyone knows that White Leghorns are the egg-laying champions.

Dominiques will lay about three eggs a week on average in a year.

Delawares and Wyandottes should lay about 4 eggs a week on average in a year. So they should be about the same. Of course there are individual variations.

Are you thinking about getting hens of these three breeds?

Well, the truth is, I already have these 3 breeds. I actually have 5 RIRs, 4 GLW, 4 SLW, 3 Delas, & 2 Doms. I chose the RIRs for the obvious egg production, chose the Wyandottes for their beautiful appearance and the Delas for a white feather variation. The 2 Doms were trades with a friend. We actually ordered 36 chicks together back in November. The reason I posted my original question was because I am considering getting rid of 3 of my hens to cutback on food consumption and poop exporting :). I wanted to give away 3 of the least productive breed. They should start laying about the first of April. Sounds like I may want to give away the 2 Doms and just hold onto the remaining 16. Petty I know, but thanks for your input. :)

I've considered getting some Sussex in the future. I will definitely put them down on the "To Get" list. Thanks for your input!!

Are the Sussex hens younger than your Wyandottes?

Sussex will also lay about 4 eggs a week on average in a year.
My Sussex are six months old and really do lay every day. The Wyandottes are three years and one of them is eighteen months old. They lay maybe every other day.

Back
Top Bottom