Best feed for a 10-year-old hen who hasn't laid eggs in a while?

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Hi! I've currently been feeding my 10-year-old hen Happy Egg co feed from Walmart but she mainly just eats the sunflower seeds and ignores the rest. lol

Before that for a long time she was eating Scratch and Peck whole grain naturally free layer feed.

She hasn't laid eggs in approximately a couple months. The last eggs she laid were shelless and the last one I saw her lay was just an empty sack I pulled out of her cloaca cause I saw her struggling. I think maybe she's reached "henopause" since she hasn't been laying.

She's also been having messy bum feathers and I'm worried she's not getting a balanced diet and maybe that's the cause.

Anyone have feed recommendations for a senior hen who isn't laying much? What do you feed your older hens?

I'm not sure whether to go back to scratch and peck layer or try something else like non-layer crumbles perhaps? I've read crumbles are easier for older hens and I've read layer feed shouldn't be fed to them or some people say you should feed it cause the extra calcium is good for the bones.

Idk what recs to follow!

Thank you

I just give my two ten year olds the same as my others, just regular chicken feed from TSC. They both still lay eggs. A little misshapen but eggs nonetheless. If I were you I'd look out for internal laying and egg boundness though because they've been funky eggs. Also I have a mix that helps my chicken with ascites (water belly) that is healthy for chickens and might help strengthen her if you want whats in it I can tell you. Also do you have food out all day or do you through it out like for the meals?

Also There is thread called Old Chickens where people talk about their girls in the upper years, if you want I can @ you in it.

I just give my two ten year olds the same as my others, just regular chicken feed from TSC. They both still lay eggs. A little misshapen but eggs nonetheless. If I were you I'd look out for internal laying and egg boundness though because they've been funky eggs. Also I have a mix that helps my chicken with ascites (water belly) that is healthy for chickens and might help strengthen her if you want whats in it I can tell you. Also do you have food out all day or do you through it out like for the meals?

Also There is thread called Old Chickens where people talk about their girls in the upper years, if you want I can @ you in it.

Oh you feed yours layer feed?

Yes hopefully there is no internal laying going on. She seems like her normal self just maybe not eating so much. It's been really hot here.

The food I was throwing out for meals but lately have some out all day the past few days.

Would love to see the thread and the food mix sounds cool also although she doesn't have ascites so I don't think I need to do that

Oh you feed yours layer feed?

Yes hopefully there is no internal laying going on. She seems like her normal self just maybe not eating so much. It's been really hot here.

The food I was throwing out for meals but lately have some out all day the past few days.

Would love to see the thread and the food mix sounds cool also although she doesn't have ascites so I don't think I need to do that
Ascites may be why she has a messy butt

Hi! I've currently been feeding my 10-year-old hen Happy Egg co feed from Walmart but she mainly just eats the sunflower seeds and ignores the rest. lol

Before that for a long time she was eating Scratch and Peck whole grain naturally free layer feed.

She hasn't laid eggs in approximately a couple months. The last eggs she laid were shelless and the last one I saw her lay was just an empty sack I pulled out of her cloaca cause I saw her struggling. I think maybe she's reached "henopause" since she hasn't been laying.
She's also been having messy bum feathers and I'm worried she's not getting a balanced diet and maybe that's the cause.

Anyone have feed recommendations for a senior hen who isn't laying much? What do you feed your older hens?
I would feed her a pelleted feed or crumbles.
The biggest problem with feed like the Happy Egg or Peck and Scratch is some birds don't eat everything, they pick and choose like your hen is doing - she's eating mostly all the sunflower seeds and ignoring the rest - so essentially she's not getting all the nutrients she needs.

Flock Raiser/All Flock, layer or chick starter would be fine to give. Make oyster shell available free choice.
With her age, yes, she may be having some reproductive problems since she was laying soft shelled/shell less eggs - but nutritional deficiency could also play a part.

Try switching feed and see if she improves.

I would feed her a pelleted feed or crumbles.
The biggest problem with feed like the Happy Egg or Peck and Scratch is some birds don't eat everything, they pick and choose like your hen is doing - she's eating mostly all the sunflower seeds and ignoring the rest - so essentially she's not getting all the nutrients she needs.

Flock Raiser/All Flock, layer or chick starter would be fine to give. Make oyster shell available free choice.
With her age, yes, she may be having some reproductive problems since she was laying soft shelled/shell less eggs - but nutritional deficiency could also play a part.

Try switching feed and see if she improves.

Layer feed is fine? I'm having trouble finding an organic all flock and I'd rather get organic feed

Layer feed is fine? I'm having trouble finding an organic all flock and I'd rather get organic feed
It should be fine. I understand she's older and isn't laying eggs, but if layer is all you can find that meets your criteria, then I would use it. Check feed bags to make sure they have a good date. I notice "organic" and "natural" type feeds at stores like TSC (at least in my area) have fairly old mill dates, so that tells me they don't sell a lot. You want as fresh a possible since vitamins/minerals degrade with time.

Back
Top Bottom