Best goat breed for beginners

LissyB

Chirping
7 Years
I NEED a goat! My mom wants another horse, but doesn't want another horse.
barnie.gif
I mean, we only have one horse that needs a friend, but my mom won't get another horse! So I'm trying to convince her to get a goat. My dad would like fainting goats... but idk!
he.gif
And mom sais teenagers are bad!
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I NEED a goat! My mom wants another horse, but doesn't want another horse.
barnie.gif
I mean, we only have one horse that needs a friend, but my mom won't get another horse! So I'm trying to convince her to get a goat. My dad would like fainting goats... but idk!
he.gif
And mom sais teenagers are bad!
tongue.gif

Does the horse even get along with goats? There are many horses who will not stand sharing space with goats, and a horse can easily stomp a goat to death. They can view them as a threat, something strange and dangerous. Before you consider getting a goat for a horse companion, you really need to find out if your horse can safely live with a goat...

X2

and the fainting goats, if you have alot of coyotes or stuff like that are a walking 4 hoofed happy meal (it is true) and those are meat breeds, if you want milk go for a alpine, niggy or ones of those

Thanks! IDK if my horse would get along with a goat or not... never thought about it. She is the sweetest horse though, just gets lonely sometimes. We haven't seen any coyotes where we live but close, so a fainting goat would not be a good option. It would just be as a pet.

I would reccomend a Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf wether, if the horse doesn't mind goats. They eat less than full size breeds. However, a full size breed would be able to defend itself better. Nubians are the biggest dairy breed. A meat breed wether would be larger than a dairy breed. It also depends on personal preference on what a goat looks like.

Boers are really calm. It may be hard to find a tame one though, as they are raised for meat. Otherwise you could get a Nubian, they are the biggest dairy breed.

Make sure they are well tamed. It is much easier to train a goat that likes humans than one who doesn't. You should be able to find a show boer, they are really expensive though. A Nubian wether shouldn't cost too much, I sell mine for $75.

Back
Top Bottom