Best grass to plant in a chicken run?

Pics

HoneysuckleHomestead

Songster
5 Years
Jul 5, 2018
NC
As you can see, my run is pretty bare, and I'm wanting to get some greenery back in there.
Watermelon Run.jpg

I'm working on building a few "raised flower bed" frames and I'm going to plant some grass in them, somewhat like this...
grazing.jpg

BUT MY QUESTION IS... is there a particular type of grass that you'd recommend? Something with a little more nutritional value than others, something that is better quality, something that chickens like? Does it matter what type of grass I plant?

Thanks for any input!

As you can see, my run is pretty bare, and I'm wanting to get some greenery back in there.
View attachment 1564997

I'm working on building a few "raised flower bed" frames and I'm going to plant some grass in them, somewhat like this...
View attachment 1564998

BUT MY QUESTION IS... is there a particular type of grass that you'd recommend? Something with a little more nutritional value than others, something that is better quality, something that chickens like? Does it matter what type of grass I plant?

Thanks for any input!

Here is my review on chicken salad seed from MPC. This grew great in 4x4 bed. I did cover it with grow cloth as shown for 4-5 weeks till up then you can uncover.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/chicken-salad-seed-mix.11878/

I recently went to a soil class and learned about cover crops. These grow in hard to grow areas and give nutrition back to the soil if leave roots in ground if not chicks just like them. They are grasses/ grains (cereal rye, oats, flax), Legumes (peas, clover,vetch), Brassicas (turnip, radish, mustard, canola), and Broadleaf(barley, wheat, sorghum). Cover crops suppress weeds, amend soil, and fix nutrients in soil naturally. Just grow and let them free range on it. :)
B27B62D9-7C8A-429E-AF51-D588E14DABCC.gif

Back
Top Bottom