Best Laying

Jay262

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Anyone have a breed they like best in regards of there laying i personally have been quite fond of pekins.

Muscovys are great layers. They hatched out over 100 ducklings this year.
barnie.gif

Golden 300s - if what you're looking for is eggs. ours were not particularly broody, but they lay and lay and lay. beautiful tasty big eggs.

Ally started laying the first week of January of this year.
That's 210 days or so?
She's laid over 200 eggs.
She didn't even stop laying during her molt this summer. Days she doesn't lay in their house - she usually runs for the woods, so I'm pretty sure she lays just about daily with a skipped day every once a long while.
Ally is a fawn and white runner.

Cadbury, a chocolate runner, isn't far behind her in number of eggs.

My runners give us between four and eight eggs a day most days all year. We have nine ducks.

Meyer Hatchery, where I bought them, claims their runners lay 100 to 180 eggs a year.

you can find Golden 300s here: http://www.metzerfarms.com/Golden300HybridLayerDucks.cfm?Breed=Golden%20300%20Hybrid%20Layer&BirdType=Duck&ID=GOLDE
"In
1996 we developed the Golden 300 Hybrid as they lay more and larger eggs than the Khaki Campbell duck and have a calmer temperament with a higher fertility. The Khaki Campbell may be a good egg producer in small flocks but we were never satisfied with their production in our larger commercial flocks. Because of this inconsistency, we developed the Golden 300 Hybrid by crossing and utilizing the attributes of different duck breeds.
Some of our customers wanted a white bird that laid as well as the Golden 300 Hybrid. In 1999 we developed the White Layer to meet this demand. The production of these two birds is identical on our farm."

The best layers I have heard of are 1 khaki campbells 2 runners and 3 welsh harlequins. I however am getting some welsh next week. And getting khaki eggs this weeks and my mom is hopefully getting some runners next spring. she is getting blue runners she wants me to make some silver splash. Hehehehe that wont be for a while lol. But cant wait for the next two years hopefully I will have some splash lol.

Back
Top Bottom