Best/most painless way to pluck feathers from a (living) chick?

arrada

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
I need to know for sure whether or not one of my chicks is a rooster before either integrating him/her with the rest of my flock or giving him/her away, so I'm planning on sending a few (3 or 4) feathers to a place that does dna sexing. The chick is about 2 months old now. The lab told me they need chest feathers and that they have to be fresh plucked and not cut off or loose moulted ones, but im not sure how to go about the plucking. I don't want to hurt or upset the chick more than necessary, so what's the best way to do it?

Thanks for any help

I really don't think you need to do that. If you post pics here, we could probably tell you.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Now that just seems like going way overboard to tell if it's a rooster or not...2 months old like the others said it's pretty obvious to those of us that raise chickens..many times you can tell within a few weeks..unless it's a sex link then when they hatch
big_smile.png
Silkies are the hardest to sex in most opinions including mine..if anyone would like to take a shot at my pen full...then I still wouldn't pluck my chick to find out..really it makes no difference when putting them together what sex they are if he's the only roo he will do just fine with the ladies.
BTW just out of curiousity(sorry about the spelling I'm tired) do they charge for that testing
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom