best pea variety for newbie

Yea it will also depend what you have them in, I brought mine home in pet carriers and had to tape rubber shelf line down to keep them from slipping, first year they came out of the carrier all pooped up, the next year I put shavings over the mat and no pooey on the peas, just on me as they pooed on me after I took them out
sickbyc.gif
to put them in the brooder.

Heck no not if you raised them there from a very young age , I turn mine loose as soon as they feather out the first time but I have a secure place for them to roam.

I want to start with a pair or trio of peafowl. I have read that India blues are the easiest to tame. I love the look of the greens but what I have read says they are much wilder than the blues. What about the hybrids? I know that Indian blues are the easiest to find but are the other varieties able to be tamed as well?
Also, does anyone have any young birds available ? I am in N. CA but would be willing to pay for shipping and a box if peas ship ok. I have shipped chickens before but do not know how well peafowl do when shipped.
Thanks,
Laura
I ordered mine from Murray McMurray Hatchery. I had to order 8. They were not cheap. I paid $320.00. They were a mixed batch. I lost 2 of them the 1st week after that I did not loose any more. You can ship the 1st day after hatching, so I've been told. The yoke is the last thing to be absorbed. They can live off it for 2-3 days. The post office will not deliver. You call the P. O. As soon as they open when they are expected. The rest is up to you. I was giver credit for the 2 that died since it happened the 1 st few days. I filled instructions closely and I didn't loose anymore !

Back
Top Bottom