Best permethrin to get rid of mosquitoes and gnats

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
The new place I moved my coop is by the crick behind my house. There are tons of mosquitoes and all kinds of other flying bugs. I want to make sure my chickens are safe from these flying bugs since they can fly through the fencing. I read that spraying the outside of the coop with permethrin will keep them away. But there are so many kinds. What’s the best or most effective one? I’ve never used the spray before. Only the dust.

They all will work it depends on what concentrate you get. I use the concentrate and mix it for the 0.5% solution. Here is a chart a BYC member made for the different concentrates. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Neither.

1.7 oz is approx 50 ml. Mixed to 1 Gallon of water, makes a 0.5% solution.
.85 oz is approx 25 ml. Mixed to 1 Gallon of water, makes a 0.25% solution.
This is for Permethrin SFR 36.8% concentrate. Which is usually only available online.
etc.

Note that Permethrin is great for ticks and other crawly things - like mites. It disrupts their nervous system, and kills 'em dead. It is NOT a repellant. Unlike, say, DEET. Permethrin breaks down rapidly on the skin, and for the tiny bit absorbed thru the skin, in the liver of all mammals (though cats lack much of the essential enzyme to do so, and are much more sensitive to it than most), as well as more slowly in sunlight. Which is why humans going hunting wash their clothing in permethrin solution, rather than spraying it on themselves - they are dangerous to it!!!

There is less information (that I've seen) as to how chicken's skin might break down permethrin, but given their feathers, skin contact is expected to be de minimis.

Also, permethrin is REALLY bad for fish - don't spray it near your favorite koi pond, or empty the excess in the local stream.
In the chart @casportpony made, the oz equivalent to ml so if you're measuring in ounces or milimeters she has already broken it down depending on the strength of the concentrate or you can buy the premixed sprays. I use the permethrin 10, I put 6.4 oz or 190 ml to a gallon of water for a 0.5% solution.
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Last edited:
This chart is a little confusing for me. 😳 the ounces is the permethrin and the ML is the water? Or do I have that backwards?
Neither.

etc.

Note that Permethrin is great for ticks and other crawly things - like mites. It disrupts their nervous system, and kills 'em dead. It is NOT a repellant. Unlike, say, DEET. Permethrin breaks down rapidly on the skin, and for the tiny bit absorbed thru the skin, in the liver of all mammals (though cats lack much of the essential enzyme to do so, and are much more sensitive to it than most), as well as more slowly in sunlight. Which is why humans going hunting wash their clothing in permethrin solution, rather than spraying it on themselves - they are dangerous to it!!!

There is less information (that I've seen) as to how chicken's skin might break down permethrin, but given their feathers, skin contact is expected to be de minimis.

Also, permethrin is REALLY bad for fish - don't spray it near your favorite koi pond, or empty the excess in the local stream.

Thank you for the information. I planned on spraying my coop and the surrounding woods. Since that’s where the bugs come from. Would it work to keep the mosquitoes and black flies away? Or should I get something else as well?
I don't use it, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Mosquitoes breed in standing water - there are bacteria tabs you can add which will multiply in the water. Safe for you, safe for fish, lethal to mosquito larvae. They re used in koi ponds all the time. Available on Amazon and your big box stores, over in the section with the precast and pond liners in garden center. Maybe Walmart too.

Black flies (if we are talking about the same bug) don't bite, and are a good source of protein for your chickens. Many, in fact, make black fly composters specifically so their chicks will have additional protein in the form of black fly larvae. I've tried myself (twice) now, but my property gets too hot to successfully establish a self perpetuating composting colony - too bad, because black flies destroy protein scraps, normally a problem for composting.

Neither.

etc.

Thank you for the information. I planned on spraying my coop and the surrounding woods. Since that’s where the bugs come from. Would it work to keep the mosquitoes and black flies away? Or should I get something else as well?

Back
Top Bottom