best place to order chicks from?

Mt Healthy and Meyer are both great companies. I have had great experiences with both though I prefer Meyer unless there's a specific breed I'm looking for that Meyers can't get and MtH can.

Meyer is not a huge hatchery/factory place, they are a very personal and personable place. I posted a link with an interesting video at their site at this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=367543 and they even replied in it! You can see for yourself that while they're not super small, they aren't a huge assembly line sort of place. Oh, and yes, they are one of the places that My Pet Chicken uses as a supplier... I cant see paying a middleman that way, though they do have a place when it comes to assembling a combined order I suppose.

I don't know for sure exactly how big Mt Healthy is, but they're good to deal with overall.

Last edited:
I have never ordered from Cackle Hatchery. But on their sexing, it's 95 % hens, that means only 5 roosters instead of 10 like most hatcheries!
ep.gif

If i ever order again I will order from Cackle.
smile.png

My 8 Buff Orpington chicks came from My Pet Chicken. I am extremely new to this and I was very nervous about having baby chicks mailed to me. They arrived in 24 hours to my local post office. The post office called and offered to deliver them to my house but I decided to go down and pick them up. As soon as I entered the post office I learned why they offered to bring them to my house. My chicks were very much alive and extremely vocal. Now my chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and still doing very well. Hopefully I can get my coop and run built in time.

Quote:
Hi NT, I'm a new egg too!!! Thank you for your question, I am also looking to have chicks mailed to me.

I posted earlier about Randall Burkey, one cross beak and one with curly toes but all alive and all pullets. RB gets them from various hatcheries. I went with them cuz McMurray didn't have any ees til 2 months after RB.

I ordered my chicks from McMurray. I ordered 25 chicks and received 39! They sent extra laying hens and one "exotic chick" which turned out to be a partridge cochin. The rest were red star roos for warmth. All of my chicks arrived happy and healthy. One roo died b/c of an injury from another chick and one EE died a week later. It was fine when it arrived. It just had some sort of problem (obviously). Their sexing was 100% accurate.

I ordered my chicks from MyPetChicken.com and was extremely pleased. They arrived healthy and are still doing wonderfully well at 3 months. I liked being able to order a smaller number of chicks and pick and choose my breeds (I got 9 different breeds). And, they were 100% accurate on the sexing -- all are pullets. Plus, no packing peanuts to have to get rid of.

I would definitely order from them again.
thumbsup.gif

I ordered 25 (5 each of 4 breeds) chicks from Cacklein MO for April delivery. They responded right away that one breed would not be available the week I requested. They let me know when they would all be available but I chose to substitute a different breed and keep my original date.

I received 26 chicks, one died, and only one turned out to be a roo.
My experience with Cackle was great- would definitely use them again, now that I have "the fever". Planning now which breeds to add next spring and I don't even have my first egg yet!!

I have had great experiences with Cackle and Ideal and will probably use them again at some point (alot of the breeds I want don't have breeders ANYWHERE near me). I'm not in love with Mt. Healthy- they are a middleman and don't know what they are selling (bantams wise) and I got mutts and their customer service is nice but it's still a bit slow to respond (busy season) but they are friendly and polite and ALOT better than Murray. In Mt.Healthy's defense they do say "bantam assortment". I have no compaints with the 4 silkies I got from TSC (Mt Healthy supplier) they are doing really well and are looking decent (just want broodies). I got my cuckoo marans from Ideal- was on their waiting list for less than a day- ordered 15 pullets and 13 arrived alive and very healthy, 2 were squished in transit and got 10 RSL packing peanuts which I liked as I rawfeed my dogs quite a bit. No problems with customer service and I was refunded for the two. All are growing well and are healthy as can be and should start laying in a month or so. 1 is a roo but the other 12 are pullets.

I will NEVER order from Murray again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordered Toulouse Goslings from them, they insisted that I pay for 1/2 to be sexed (I wanted straight run), was told at least 4 times that they had been shipped via phone contact, email, etc and then when they never showed up I was told that NONE of them even hatched!!!!!!! Their customer service is ATROCIOUS!!!!!! I posted all about this, when it happened, in the goose forum if you want to read more about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom