Best Post Ever

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
This spring sometime in March I believe it was before we decided to dive into the world of raising baby ducklings. We were walking around our local feed store looking for some other stuff and of course noticed all the different container filled with baby chicks. The best sign ever was posted above on a plain sheet of cardboard and written out in Sharpie! THESE ARE BABIES AND NOT EASTER GIFTS ! I wished I would of snapped a picture of that, priceless! It spoke volumes, unfortunately only to those of us who really knows what it meant! No different then a baby puppy who is all cute and cuddly and then they grow up, now they become a chore ( Big pain in the A** ) over the responsibility you signed up for. It's sad, but I wanted to share the sign, made me stop and think. Just glad someone at the feed store was on the same page. :)

This spring sometime in March I believe it was before we decided to dive into the world of raising baby ducklings. We were walking around our local feed store looking for some other stuff and of course noticed all the different container filled with baby chicks. The best sign ever was posted above on a plain sheet of cardboard and written out in Sharpie! THESE ARE BABIES AND NOT EASTER GIFTS ! I wished I would of snapped a picture of that, priceless! It spoke volumes, unfortunately only to those of us who really knows what it meant! No different then a baby puppy who is all cute and cuddly and then they grow up, now they become a chore ( Big pain in the A** ) over the responsibility you signed up for. It's sad, but I wanted to share the sign, made me stop and think. Just glad someone at the feed store was on the same page. :)

I saw the same sign at our TSC store...it's a good thing to post if it makes even one person think twice about getting ducklings or chicks.

I saw the same sign at our TSC store...it's a good thing to post if it makes even one person think twice about getting ducklings or chicks.
It's nice to know there are other people who are willing to step up and look out for these little precious babies. I have yet to see, not saying they don't exist? any domestic baby duckling rescue sanctuaries located in our area. :confused:

Last edited:
Finally! I feel the same about dogs. Kids will ask for a fluffy puppy one day and the next their parents will get one from the pet store. With no supplies, even knowledge, any idea of training, or grooming needs. They'll get some tiny little teacup puppy that has all kinds of issues and is probably from a puppy mill. They'll keep it in a kennel all day with no exercise. spend about After about a few weeks the kid will get tired of the puppy and the parents will be worn out from the work. They end up being dumped. Ducks, chickens, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, cats, and dogs, are like having a baby. A long commitment, a lot of work, money, and patience.
I dedicated every second to my puppy when she was little. And I still do, for both my dogs. It takes hours to wear them out. And they're 4 and 10lbs. And they need lots of grooming. Twice a day for 15-30 (depends on if they're tangled or if we're going somewhere) mins each time. They have long hair and high grooming needs (Yorkie and Maltipoo). They are also both very smart. I spend about 15 mins a day practicing tricks. When they were little I also taught them basic obedience of course too, like to stop barking when told, or not to jump on strangers, ect.
And potty training took time. They both have such small bladders. When Rosie was little we had to let her out every 15 mins. I'm not joking. We taught her to go straight outside and not on pads (pads feel like carpet to them, and it's inside). We've still had a bunch of accidents though. And of course where you get them is important. Either rescue one and prepare for lots of health issues and high vet bills, or get one from a good breeder and wait for a while and pay a lot of money ($1,500 - 5,550). Vet bill are very expensive too. Regular puppy shots, possibly worms, joint and hip for older dogs, and emergency costs. And those are only a few. And you'll need a good food brand. Something without lots of fillers like wheat, grain, soy, or peas. I decided not to go grain free since it's just replaced with peas which my dogs are very allergic to. I use Fromm, no recalls, good ingredients, made in USA, and has been around for 100+ years. Raw diets are great too. Dogs are carnivores and need high protein from meat.

Oh gosh, this is really long. Sorry about that xD

As Harsh as it may come off sounding for some. I tell people show me a dumb animal and I will show you a dumb owner. Just like anything, you get out of it what you put into it! It's absolutely heartbreaking to see a neglected and abused animal. Ducks don't have much of a tail to wag, but it sure is cute to see them shake that little thing when they are happy. :celebrate :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom