Best prefab for 6 chickens

Carolina Coops cost a fortune, but they've got a good reputation for being well-made.

Some "Amish" type coops are well-made, but you will always have to add more ventilation.

ALL prefabs claim to hold more chickens than they actually hold since the numbers are based on legal minimums for commercial chickens.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
For 6 hens:
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
Be careful, sometimes they give the measurements including the nestboxes. Don't be fooled. :)

I swear by converted sheds. They're usually cheaper than prefabs. Just add ventilation, a 2x4 roost, and a couple of nest boxes. Voila!

I used a 4x8 vinyl shed for a spell when I was between permanent coops. I added hardware cloth over the windows and a 2x4. It was great. I had 8 chickens at the time.

As aforementioned, Craigslist and Marketplace are great sources! Shoot - pppkhave used playhouses and large doghouses, too.

Back
Top Bottom