? Best show breeds and how to get started?

IMO whites and blacks are not that easy also. Whites take a lot of show prep if not housed properly. And blacks can have lots of problems, red leakage, white feathers, loss of sheem etc

I say go with whatever you think fits you best, and make sure you have a mentor, or someone you can easily reach to help you along the way. I have LF Blue and Black Cochins and I just found a mentor this last weekend, this May it will be 2 years since I started, and it is very nice being able to call and ask questions

Are the three pullets you posted in the Blue Colors thread yours? If so, which would you breed and why.
The first one is not mine, however the second two are. The first one of mine is from the same breeder as the one that isn't(darker blue, first one). Currently I have the last one I posted with a very nice black cock. I am hoping to set eggs this weekend. The first blue of mine will also be bred to the black 2 months after she starts laying

The first one is not mine, however the second two are. The first one of mine is from the same breeder as the one that isn't(darker blue, first one). Currently I have the last one I posted with a very nice black cock. I am hoping to set eggs this weekend. The first blue of mine will also be bred to the black 2 months after she starts laying

Is the black cock you are breeding to from a family of nicely laced blues? You may have a lot of work ahead of you with those two hens. The first hen was the only hen I would breed out of the three. I have worked with Large Fowl Blue Cochins. My son had a hen that won Best of Variety at a show earlier this year. I am not trying to discourage you, but just being honest.

Is the black cock you are breeding to from a family of nicely laced blues? You may have a lot of work ahead of you with those two hens. The first hen was the only hen I would breed out of the three. I have worked with Large Fowl Blue Cochins. My son had a hen that won Best of Variety at a show earlier this year. I am not trying to discourage you, but just being honest.
Yes I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. Anyone breeding blues does, even when they have a solid line of birds. The black comes from a good line, and was reserve asiatic at state fair as a 9 month old. All of my birds come from very reputable breeders, who have good lines. Also the second female is only about 6 months so she still has a lot of growing to do, and the last blue was 8 months when the picture was taken.
It would take a lot fot me to get discouraged after spending this much time and money on my birds.

Yes I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. Anyone breeding blues does, even when they have a solid line of birds. The black comes from a good line, and was reserve asiatic at state fair as a 9 month old. All of my birds come from very reputable breeders, who have good lines. Also the second female is only about 6 months so she still has a lot of growing to do, and the last blue was 8 months when the picture was taken.
It would take a lot fot me to get discouraged after spending this much time and money on my birds.

Some lines of LF Blue Cochins are more stable than others. The Black cock would have been judged as a Black, not a Blue, so it does not mean he will sire acceptable blues. Your blue hens have no lacing. At that age, they should have their lacing. You are going to have to introduce the genes to get lacing, and then it will take at least two years to get anything to show. You may be breeding a line of LF Black Cochins.

Some lines of LF Blue Cochins are more stable than others. The Black cock would have been judged as a Black, not a Blue, so it does not mean he will sire acceptable blues. Your blue hens have no lacing. At that age, they should have their lacing. You are going to have to introduce the genes to get lacing, and then it will take at least two years to get anything to show. You may be breeding a line of LF Black Cochins.
Yes some are more stable then others. And that is what I am working towards.
I know that the black was judged as a black, I am just pointing out that he has good type and color

Yes some are more stable then others. And that is what I am working towards.
I know that the black was judged as a black, I am just pointing out that he has good type and color

I know you are young, but it is going to take many years to make a stable line of blues from the two hens you showed. And there is a chance it will never happen. I would strongly suggest starting with birds with lacing. Even then, it may take years to get consistent lacing, but it will be much easier than what you have now. I know you said you have a mentor, so you should have heard this already.

Back
Top Bottom