best solution for this situation?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Our chicks are outside in a partitioned off chicken coop. I have a heat lamp in there, but during the day we shut it off because it gets pretty warm. We turn it back on at dusk but if it gets too warm I turn it off and turn on a little battery powered lantern. But it only runs for an hour or two before it starts cooling off and I can plug the heat lamp back in. Tonight, my dd had a dance recital, so we had to leave at 5:30 to get her there at 6 and then the show was at 7 and didn't end until about 9:30. Then had to wait on her to finish changing, took MIL home, went and got some fast food and got home by around 10:40. So a little over 5 hours gone. At the time we left it was nearly 100 in the coop just from the heat of the day. We had one end open (like a window) a couple of inches (there is chicken wire over it) and because it was so warm, we left the light off. When we got home it had probably been dark for a good hour. It was plenty warm in there still-around 80 degrees-but dark. They were all piled together, probably because of the dark. So what would you do instead? Put in a 40W light and hope it doesn't heat it up any more? Or do the same thing we did tonight-I'm not wild about that because I hated to see that they were scared. Tomorrow night we have to do it all over again and it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow than it was today. Today's high was 85 and breezy and tomorrow's is 90 (not sure about the wind tomorrow) and possible thunderstorms. I'm not sure if the battery lantern will run for that long (it uses 4 AA batteries).

Chicks huddle up when they sleep, don't worry about them being scared. You didn't say how old the chicks are so not sure about the light situation. I can tell you they overheat fast and you don't want that.

Last edited:
It's over 100 in there right now with windows open on both ends. When we leave we'll have to shut them though. Is it ok if they're in the dark for a few hours at 10 days old? I hate to put even a 40 watt in there (not sure I have anything smaller).

If its 100° I would skip the light. My broodys chicks sleep all night in the dark with the big chickens. If they are scared they huddle together for security. Maybe fill a couple of gallon jugs with hot water or fill some socks with rice and pop them in the microwave (they stay warm and toasty for hours) if your not crazy about turning the lamp on. Good luck!

If you just want some light in there why not use something like a small strand of xmas lights. That's what I use with my girls. they seem safer than a large light bulb.

I agree--dont worry about the security---put up a night light...better to have security light than be too hot. I shut off brooder light after 3 weeks b/c it was getting too hot for girls and they did fine (Iworried) they didnt..Everything was ok...

We ended up not putting in a light at all. When we left it was still well over 100 in there and we had to close the windows most of the way to make sure nothing got in. While we were gone it stormed and by the time we got home it was 70 in there and they had a chicken pyramid going. I turned on the lamp and checked in a half hour and it was up to 80 but they were still piled up. So I turned on the little battery lantern and they got up and started eating and drinking. Luckily that should be it-we shouldn't need to be gone from day to night like that again, at least not until they're a couple of months old.

Reminds me of growing up in So. Calif and in the morning it would sometimes be cold enough to wear a jacket to school and by afternoon it was blistering hot.

Back
Top Bottom